Tea

Stephen M

Author Level
Anyone else into different varieties of tea, found this place ages ago, a bit pricey but about six times a year they do 20% off everything: https://www.tealyra.co.uk

Find tea quite fascinating as there is basically only one type of plant and flavour difference is down to where it was grown, when harvested and then how dried.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I get all my weird & wonderful teas/tissanes/infusions/etc. from TeaPigs.

Some is available only in bags though - but that was fine for my regular office use - strangely tend to be on Nespresso more frequently at home.

My favourite is the chilli chai.

CCHAI.trio_1200x.jpg

Stephen M

Author Level
Really like matcha but it can be an acquired taste, the good stuff is expensive as well but worth it as cheaper stuff very bitter.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
They do have some lovely Chinese tea on offer, which I've not seen sold elsewhere. So thanks for the link, will prove to be useful.

What's your goto varieties?

Cobblers

Enthusiast
For those like me who aren't connoisseurs in tea:

"Dongfang meiren or baihao, among other Chinese names, is a heavily oxidized, non-roasted, tip-type oolong tea originating in Hsinchu County, Taiwan. It is an insect tea produced from leaves bitten by the tea jassid, an insect that feeds on the tea plant."

Love the last bit! :) So it's a stronger taste I'm taking it?

Stephen M

Author Level
Another handy Tealyra product is their biodegradable empty tea bags, useful for a single cup brew and also big enough to make a bouquet garni when cooking.

I am not obsessive about tea but have three kettles with preset temperatures for different teas, one in kitchen, office and bedroom.

Just a small Jixing clay teapot in bedroom with a ceremonial bowl to drink from, ideal for Pu'erh.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
I can see the attraction, I do love a pot of tea as there's something quite homely about doing so. I'll certainly be giving the Dong Fang Mei Ren a go.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I miss the coffee in Greece and Turkey, there's nothing quite like it, that really strong rich sweetness. Simply devine!
Not me! Greek coffee made from three tons of roasted beans and served in a thimble sized cup, so thick you can stand a spoon up in it? It might cost tuppence and come with a free biscuit and a glass of water, but no thanks. Awful stuff IMO. But I'm not much of a coffee drinker anyway.

Stephen M

Author Level
Love Turkish coffee and enjoyed the Cretan Mountain Tea. Have got over 100 teas and tisanes.

One problem was that while they are nearly all sent in resealable packs those packs are not simple to store. I wanted a load of simple tea caddies but that was one of the few things sourcing proved almost impossible, could find loads of decorative ones, mainly horrible to look at and overpriced.

Then discovered the Kent and Sussex Tea Company and they do lovely and simple metal caddies. Loved their customer services as well, they phoned to check I had note made a mistake on my order. Did agree with the guy I spoke to in that an order for ten teas and 100 caddies was probably a tad unusual.

Stephen M

Author Level
They do have some lovely Chinese tea on offer, which I've not seen sold elsewhere. So thanks for the link, will prove to be useful.

What's your goto varieties?
Finally a reply to your question, only a few weeks late.

I love Hojicha, a roasted green tea and am very fond of Jasmine teas, the Vietnamese organic is lovely, although Jadmine tea can be an acquired taste.

My Dad was never an Earl Grey fan, too strong bergamot taste but they do a Lady Grey which is a little milder, we both like that.

There is another company, Tea Makers of London and their Sencha with goji berry is amazing.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Huh you can even get a Hojicha cake... I'd eat it - cream not needed.

1612425328412.png

Can't say I'm an Earl Grey fan myself either - didn't know about Lady Grey. I'm really showing myself up for not being much of a tea connoisseur here :p

Now Sencha with goji berry sounds very nice indeed.