tell me my Titan isn't dead

Havok

Good morning

I have a 6gb Nvidia Titan, its my friend and I love it very much.
Yesterday I had a series of' Driver crashed but recovered' error messages pop up.
Switched the PC off in case heat was an issue
waited 20 minutes and booted up in safe mode.
omg 640x480 screen is a nasty shock
Device manager shows the Titan as disabled 'code 43'
read some forum posts re the issue and completely removed ALL nvidia software and began from scratch.

nvidia software reinstalled
no joy, I have minimal 16 bit 8 colour craphics with the titan enabaled
disable the titan and I can have a standard VGA adaptor 800x600

Swapped out the titan with a spare AMD 6900
that seemed to be fine though I did not install the AMD software it allowed me to get back to 1024

put the titan back in and I am again reduced to 640x480 and really really poor colour pallete
typically this is a holiday weekend and I cannot get a replacement anywhere.

I would appreciate any suggestions. The pc is a week short of 2 years old.

I really dont want to loose this card as it was bleedin' expensive and it gets a lot of use as I am a video editor

Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K
ASUS® P9X79 PRO
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX TITAN
Win 7 pro

many thanks

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
I've had 'Driver crashed but recovered', but it was to do with the particular game I was running. I think that may be the issue that has led me to run all games as Administrator (and would be the first thing I would try with any other applications exhibiting issues).
Code 43 is 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.' If Windows has shut down the GPU then you would be limited to what your PC can give you without it.

The Windows help page for code 43 says:
To resolve this problem, do the following:
Open Device Manager
Locate the malfunctioning device in the list of devices, right-click the device, and then click Uninstall. When a warning message appears that you are uninstalling a device from your system, click OK. Device manager uninstalls the device.
Right-click your computer name in Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes. Device manager scans your system and automatically reinstalls your device.
Right-click the device and click Properties. On the General tab of the device Properties dialog box, in Device status, you should see the message This device is working properly.

Last edited:

Havok

I believe thats the advice on the windows page and tomshardware sites. It didnt make a difference

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I'm afraid that's a typical sign of an Nvidia gpu going bye bye. 98% chance that card is dead. However, to make sure it is the card, and not something like the power supply, refit the 6900, install drivers for it; and attempt a few runs of the heaven benchmark or something similar. If you have no crashes etc keep the 6900 in and look for a replacement for the Titan. If the device is actually code 43; and/or has problems in device manager, it is almost certainly dead, or dying. Sorry :(