Temperature

Munj

Hi. I am looking to buy the inferno(clevo w110er). However from reviews I have seen that this laptop can be about 60 degrees when idle and when playing demanding games it can go into the 80s & 90 degrees. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if 60-90 degrees will mean that this laptop is going to have a short battery life or whether that is relatively normal.

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
I have an Inferno (spec in my sig) and the battery life I get is:

3 hours 10 minutes with surfing, email, word-processing etc
75 minutes gaming

I don't think the short battery life while gaming is related (at least not directly) to the high temperatures as afaik there is no full-on gaming laptop that will give you decent battery life while actually gaming. You really want to be plugged into the wall during gaming sessions.

The non-gaming battery life could be an Achilles' heel for some people. If you want a laptop that can be used 7 or 7 hours without a charge then this isn't it. Everything else is great about it though :)

Munj

Thanks Toxophilix, I was quite concerned about the battery life but 3h for me is enough for general use. I was just wondering if you could tell me if the temperature on this notebook is higher than most, as I've seen on some reviews that it can reach into the 90s when gaming.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Thanks Toxophilix, I was quite concerned about the battery life but 3h for me is enough for general use. I was just wondering if you could tell me if the temperature on this notebook is higher than most, as I've seen on some reviews that it can reach into the 90s when gaming.

I can't answer specifically to your laptop choice as I have a desktop but even my Graphics card goes up to around 81 degrees while gaming and that's in a huge spacious case with nice cooling installed. It seems understandable to be reaching 90 degrees in a laptop . Just ensure it has good airflow by placing it on a desk or something rather than a cushion and also make sure it's not in a dusty area. Regular maintenance checking that the fans are still clear, etc every couple of months would also help :)

Munj

Thanks for the advise Grimezy, do you reckon an external cooling fan and arctic mx-4 paste would bring it down a lot or is it not really worth it.

kruppsy

Master
MX-4 paste maybe -5C and the cooling pad maybe another -5C but its not an exact science, a lot of variables come into play. Personally I would get the MX-4 paste but not bother with the cooling pad. If you want the laptop to be portable, adding a pad hinders that somewhat, plus I've heard reports of them making no difference whatsoever. Also, adding a cooling pad later on is far easier than adding paste.