The 17.3" Vortex IV E3D - overclock

Smiggy

Hi,

I am well aware of the rules and everything plus how it's not recommended for laptop systems.

I intend on trying it once my warranty expires. My question is IF there is no BIOS settings to achieve then what is the alternative?

Yamikotai

Expert
There are programs that can do it for you, such as MSI AfterBurner. CPU overclocking is a bit harder to manage without a supporting BIOS, but there are programs out there for it too.

I wouldn't recommend OCing a laptop, but I just want to point you're looking to possibly damage your laptop from overheating just after the warranty expires :p

Last edited:

Smiggy

Morning,

This program is Intel's own overclocking utility (although it does state in the link it is for desktops)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...p-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

I tried it on my old Vortex II laptop once I had upgraded just to see if i could, and it does overclock the CPU without the need to alter the BIOS, however I immediately reset it to default as overheating did become a problem

Torgan

Thanks for the response. I was told if the BIOS is locked to prevent overclocking then the only way around it would be to flick some switch on the Motherboard or flash the BIOS itself?

I was told the applications would not work and would only trick the system into thinking it can run faster?

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
i've never heard about it fooling the system.... I upped the speed by 0.5 Ghz and ran a few system info applications like openhardware monitor etc and they reflected my cpu running at the new speed. Couldn't tell you whether they were being hoodwinked aswell, but as i said before, the overheating definitely became an issue almost immediately so reckon something had changed!

I also accidentally changed the RAM specifications using XTU and it bricked my system and required a complete change of RAM chips to sort so it definitely buggered those up!

Good Luck with it if you go ahead.

Torgan

Smiggy

i've never heard about it fooling the system.... I upped the speed by 0.5 Ghz and ran a few system info applications like openhardware monitor etc and they reflected my cpu running at the new speed. Couldn't tell you whether they were being hoodwinked aswell, but as i said before, the overheating definitely became an issue almost immediately so reckon something had changed!

I also accidentally changed the RAM specifications using XTU and it bricked my system and required a complete change of RAM chips to sort so it definitely buggered those up!

Good Luck with it if you go ahead.

Torgan

Thanks for your response Torgan.

One more questions, I have read when doing this sort of stuff via the BIOS the temperature and voltage changes are all set automatically as you increase or set the desired clock-speed.

Does the application you're recommending do this? Does it state what is a stable overclocked configuration?

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
I never changed anything except altering the CPU speed within the application itself. PCS laptops come with advanced BIOS functions locked off as standard due to the dangers of overclocking, so never tinkered in there whatsoever

XTU does allow you to stress test your CPU at the increased speed before committing to the changes so I used to run OpenHardwareMonitor at the same time to keep a check on each Core Temperature.

If you stress test it at a speed which is considered too high, the program will flag it up as dangerous, although it will not block you from applying the change anyway

Smiggy

I never changed anything except altering the CPU speed within the application itself. PCS laptops come with advanced BIOS functions locked off as standard due to the dangers of overclocking, so never tinkered in there whatsoever

XTU does allow you to stress test your CPU at the increased speed before committing to the changes so I used to run OpenHardwareMonitor at the same time to keep a check on each Core Temperature.

If you stress test it at a speed which is considered too high, the program will flag it up as dangerous, although it will not block you from applying the change anyway

How much higher did you go with your original processor? What was the difference?

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
I knocked it up 0.5 Ghz just as an experiment to see if it would work really. I did play Skyrim I think, but noticed the heat building up very rapidly so knocked it back down as I was giving the laptop to my Mother for a present and there is no real need to overclock for Solitaire and holiday browsing :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Question for everyone. If I purchase a cooling stand like this:

Zalman ZM-NC3500

Will it help with overclocking as the fan will be cooling in vents underneath the laptop.

It doesn't make a significant difference, the chassis is not design for overclocking. The one you have chosen is pretty good anyway and any bottleneck is likely to be from the gpu not cpu.

Smiggy

It doesn't make a significant difference, the chassis is not design for overclocking. The one you have chosen is pretty good anyway and any bottleneck is likely to be from the gpu not cpu.

So, it will make a difference or help, but very little?

IF, I do overclock once my warranty has expired it'd be very little.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So, it will make a difference or help, but very little?

IF, I do overclock once my warranty has expired it'd be very little.

If it is very little I wouldn't risk it. The spec you are choosing is pretty expensive, assuming you go for gold warranty (2 years parts) I don't see how a moderate/small overclock is going to make a significant difference in performance. I have the cooler you indicated and it helps but the temp difference is not very significant.

Smiggy

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Please don't overclock it!!! no need for it honestly.

I totally agree with Keynes - you don't need to overclock your laptop and imagine how gutted you would be if something was wrecked beyond repair.

I have tried it on an old laptop, but that was only after I received my new machine and only because I was curious about the process - a process which nearly bricked it beyond repair!

I wouldn't even consider doing it on my current laptop as it's an awful lot of money to be playing around with.....

Smiggy

I'm relatively new to overclocking really. I have been told by some friends that other re-sellars use the same Clevo chasis and have managed to release them with overclocked CPUs. Therefore, when my times comes (after warranty expiration) it's worth overclocking bit by bit until a stable overclocked configuration is established?

The main reason behind it is playing Wii emulator games on the Dolphin emulator with maximum settings where the image quality is enhanced beyond that what the original console delivered requires clock-speeds well past 4.0GHz. With my default configuration it just abouts plays the games at full capacity.

I certainly won't be taking risks until then, but wanted to gather thoughts here.