the fan of my 180W AC adaptor (optimus XI) doesnt do a normal sound.. need to change?

0Yatake

hi
I just checked leaning the AC adaptor on my ear to hear the fan.. its a strange sound like a malfunctioning turntable and scratching the disk..

the answer may be pretty obvious.. but despite this, the AC adaptor doesn't even get too much hot.. I would say by touching: normal temps for an adaptor stressed to max (hot but still can touch it) for the rest all work fine.

what's do you think? I mean what's sound do your AC adaptor?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is it possible that a transistor or something is faulty? Can't think of anything else in an adaptor that would cause a noise like that...unless it's just a quirk of that particular adapter
I would expect it's likely a bit of coil whine, in the worst case some arching. Either way, think it's best to ask for a replacement.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Definitely isn’t a fan in any laptop power brick, they’re not like PSU’s in desktops. It’s probably a bit of coil whine as Spyder said, probably perfectly normal assuming it’s only a very low level noise you can hear when the room is silent