The Octane 2 17.3", are there any owners? stock?

_Rob_

I have been eyeing up the 17.3" Octane 2 for some time. The i7 6700k is the only thing marked as pre-order only. But I see a post saying that the gtx 980m may not be available until January. This has me confused (easily done :wacko:). I selected the gtx 980 & i7 6700 and build time is stated as 5-7 days, and there is a banner stating 'order by Dec 12 to recieve intime for xmas'. I pressed proceed on my order and it takes me to the credit card page so i can pay. On this page it quotes live stats based on the past 5 days, all looks good, with an unlikely worst case of 28 days, and a very likely 2 week wait, or does it? So these stats are saying that there are many new owners of this machine? I don't understand the stats. It says 48.84% get theirs in 7 days, 87.46 in 14 days, 97.69% in 21 days, and 100% in 28 days. These are % dispatched within indicated time scales. My indicated time scale is 7 days, so this is saying I have less than a 50% chance of getting my laptop in the specified time, but says nothing about how long I am likely to wait otherwise, (the other three times being different indicated time scales and therefore don't apply).

Maybe I am being a pedantic old wotsit, but it is a lot of cash to splash so I would like to know the true situation. However great pcs is they can't deliver what they have not got:sailor:

Stephen M

Author Level
The GTX 980M is avaialable, it is the new 980 that is not available yet, I made a similar mistake a while back. The new one is a desk top GPU for use in a laptop while the one in the present Octane is a normal mobile 980. The times given for delivery are estimates based on the last month's lead times for all laptop so there will be a lot of variance but providing all of the stock is there you should get your build in or close to the estimated time, plus they have guaranteed a Christmas deliver on the site so you should be fine. There have a been a lot of stock issues since the launch of the Skylake, with RAM as well as CPUs so this has set back a lot of times and that will show in the long term stats but they appear to be on top of it now.

_Rob_

OK right, thanks for correcting my mistake.

So there must be people out there with a 17.3" Octane 2, i7 6700, and gtx 980m?

It would be great to hear how it performs. Linux installation anyone?

Stephen M

Author Level
The initial Octane (i7 4790 CPU) is fine with Ubuntu, I have not tried anything else yet. There may be a few slight hassles caused by UEFI, even if you order without an OS there will be a trial version of Windows on the machine used for testing. Once UEFI was disabled Ubuntu installation was simple. The only other slight problem I had was upgrading to 15.10 and there were driver issues with the GTX 970M but instead of using the Linux X.org driver I went for the NVIDIA driver (changeable in "Software and Updates") and it has been fine. It may have be OK to go with the Linux driver now, my problem was when 15.10 was first launched I just have not bothered to check.
On my other PCS laptop the only other issue I can think of was needing to install WiFi firmware when installing Debian but again not a big hassle.

_Rob_

I was intending to duel boot 10 and Ubuntu. Then at a later date transfer 10 to a desktop, but I am a bit confused now as another poster is saying PCS is installing the OEM(not transferable), rather than the full version of 10, although it states full version in the quote.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I was intending to duel boot 10 and Ubuntu. Then at a later date transfer 10 to a desktop, but I am a bit confused now as another poster is saying PCS is installing the OEM(not transferable), rather than the full version of 10, although it states full version in the quote.

Is there any off the shelve laptop or from another retailer that comes with a retail version of Windows? As far as I know all OS come with OEM versions. Full version to me means not a trial version rather than retail.

_Rob_

Is there any off the shelve laptop or from another retailer that comes with a retail version of Windows? As far as I know all OS come with OEM versions. Full version to me means not a trial version rather than retail.

I don't think I have seen a laptop or PC for sale, without an OEM windows on it, so I take your point. I have never seen one with the whole OS as a trial though. It makes sense for PCS to be using OEM. But, as I back myself into a corner here, I still say 'full version' means retail:)