The Optimus V 13 is just too thick

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
Yesterday I saw an optimus V 13 inch laptop in the flesh. This was next to a dell 14 inch notebook.

I must say that the Optimus V, although 13 inch, the height of the keyboard and the graphics card inside it makes it quite an unattractive option for a 13inch laptop. It the weight was just as much as the 14 in laptop and when the lid was closed it was actually higher than it too.

I know this has a nv graphics card inside of it, but I think something with more of a stylish feel to it would be much better than an attempt at a gaming powerhouse.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Gamers, we sacrifice style for performance and good cooling. Personally i would rather have a machine that was propperly cooled and didn't overheat than a machine that was prioritized to look good. Everyone is different though.

TankTop

Me too. Before deciding on the Vortex IV my head had been turned by the Ghost Pro and new Gigabyte high-performance, slim form factor machines coming out. I think they look great but I was put off by the many owners resorting to undervolting to sort out heat issues, same with the Razer.

I'm not saying they're bad machines and I'm sure the temps can be managed fine, with or without a custom bios, but personally I prefer the peace of mind from the extra breathing room even if the aesthetics suffer a bit, especially with Haswell.

TankTop

Agree, looks like a stealth MBP, superb. Overpriced though I reckon and seems to have some pretty serious heat issues.

mdwh

Enthusiast
There are different laptops for different purposes and different preferences. If you'd rather something less powerful and more portable, then they're not really comparable in the first place. Even from PCS, there are thinner laptops like the Fusion-T.

I like both my ultra-portable thin 10" TB, as well as my big thick heavy Vortex 3, each has its own strengths for different purposes.