The Radeon RX 470 or GeForce GTX 1080 for gaming?

aaronkite

Hi :)

I have a question.. which graphics card would you prefer (best buy in terms of value for the money) if you choose from the Radeon RX470 or GeForce GTX1080. I am a Mac person but am looking to go into PC gaming and want to get some info. I was comparing the two models [Link removed] but not sure if I got it right.. nive to get opinions!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TexChris

Hi Aaron,

I'm no expert in comparisons of Graphics Cards, but in my opinion it's all down to personal preference. It depends on what build you're looking for (Overclocking etc..) and how much you're willing to spend. What is your budget? If money isn't an issue, I would go with the 1080, if you're looking to save money then the RX470 would be a decent choice.

Take a look at this. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-470-vs-GeForce-GTX-1080

In the review, the 1080 is a clear winner, but obviously the RX 470 is much cheaper, so that is expected.

Thanks

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's no comparison between the cards, the 1080 is a much more powerful card.

Best not to look at gpuboss for graphics comparisons as it compares synthetic results which are completely useless and have no bearing on real world results.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd strongly recommend ignoring GPUboss, and any website that does automated hardware comparisons. The comparisons tend to be meaningless garbage based on junk statistics.

Like when GPUboss used to claim an R9 380 was better than an R9 380x for raw gaming performance...

It is true that the GTX 1080 is a lot more powerful than an RX 470. Indeed the scores on GPUboss don't really do justice to the difference.

but am looking to go into PC gaming and want to get some info. I was comparing the two models here but not sure if I got it right.. nive to get opinions!
It's worth thinking about your overall budget for the system and getting a balanced build. A GTX 1080 paired with a cheap and weak CPU isn't very balanced, and neither is an i9 7900x + an RX 470.

You'd also want to have an idea of what monitor/resolution you'll be gaming on.

Edit: Clicking on the link in the first post takes you to a bizarre website that doesn't have anything to do with... well.. anything. Was the point of this post just to plug the website?

Last edited: