The rolling cycle of new CPU/GFX/Laptop releases: When to buy

flobber238

Bronze Level Poster
It's no secret to those who keep up with the tech industry, that CPU manufacturers and GFX manufacturers all time their new upgrades at different times, so as to make it less clear to the customer when they should upgrade. Further, laptop options develop at a similar and unclear pace.

I wonder what time you guys think is the best time to upgrade your laptop, in the long run? Let's think about this together.

PCS is good at keeping up with the trends. It integrates the latest internal hardware into their laptop fleet essentially as it comes out; so one can to some extent base their timing just on when CPUs and GPUs come out. Hard drives come out all the time and they're pretty much no longer a bottleneck regardless of the rest of your spec.

Do you agree? No? Would you take the plunge after a CPU release or a GFX release? And when do you expect to see new Clevo laptops being released?

stegor

Bright Spark
"Hard drives no longer a bottleneck"? mmmmm....mechanical spinny thing in a box full of nannotech....can't agree with with you there I'm afraid.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Yes, hard drives are still a source for bottlenecks. For your laptop, I know clevo are releasing some new models in the next few weeks but I don't know when and what will be introduced. It is hard with technology if you keep looking into the future, you will never end up buying anything. Also, laptops aren't really designed to last. However, the new intel CPUs, are coming out in the next couple of months, so are the next nvidia gpus expected to arrive. Therefore, it could be worth waiting for them but with technology, it is always best to buy what is available at the time as something new is always coming out and like I said before, you won't end up getting anything!

AndyL

Hard drives are obviously still the biggest bottlenecks in PC's that is why SSD's have so much of an impact! and can be sold at such high prices.

flobber238

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah sorry I was thinking of SSDs included- kindof a must isn't it. What's the all-inclusive term- storage drive? SSDs aren't a bottleneck though right?

My plan to buy a laptop in the summer is a good plan then.

Teaz

Godlike
I don't think anything 'proper' will be out too soon. New release happens, there's always change or upgrades happening around the corner. Same with sandy bridge. When it was release, it was solid, however, soon came the i7 2700k and some mobile cpu upgrades , next with the sandy bridge E cpus. Things will constantly be kept pushing out for the tech industry. In all these releases, they don't hold a huge gap performance between them, yet. The current line of tech is pretty much fine for the everyday punter and use.

AndyL

SSDs aren't a bottleneck though right?

SSD's are still a bottleneck. e.g. if you create a RAM drive then you would see that it performs massive amounts faster than an SSD. TBH storage drives will probably always be one of the biggest bottlenecks of a PC system.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
SSD's are still a bottleneck. e.g. if you create a RAM drive then you would see that it performs massive amounts faster than an SSD. TBH storage drives will probably always be one of the biggest bottlenecks of a PC system.

the proper PCI-E card that enables RAM drives is way too expensive though, there was one with 4 RAM slots for about £4k which i suppose is 32GB, but id get one with 8 slots, and get 8GB sticks