The Xmas Thread!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Possibly against every grain of your being..... any tips on making French fries? I don't like potatoes.... so my chip of choice is the skinny option.

So far I've gone for Marris pipers, thinly cut and soaked in brine (water, sugar, salt & vinegar) overnight. Deep fried for 10 mins @ 150C and then deep fried for 2 mins at 200C.

They're OK.... but still not that fantastic fast food fry flavour that I'm after :D
Golden syrup and russet potatoes are your friend in this particular equation. They’ll unlock a bit more of an American style fry flavour for you. I think they use corn syrup in the states but golden is an acceptable substitute.

ADDITIONAL - Add the syrup when you do your soak. You might have to play around with the quantities to find what works for you 👍

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Cant get Russet potatoes for love nor money unfortunately. I think the FF market snap them all up, I had a good search.

Having said that, maybe I should check an actual grocers over a supermarket!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Cant get Russet potatoes for love nor money unfortunately. I think the FF market snap them all up, I had a good search.

Having said that, maybe I should check an actual grocers over a supermarket!
Let us know how you get on, always happy to talk food experiments. Mrs Cooper and I spent around a year trying to perfect the Colonel’s secret blend of eleven herbs and spices to make homemade KFC. It’s not 100% but it’s pretty close. I just have to hope she’s still got the final draft of that recipe written down somewhere otherwise we’re back to square one 😱

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Let us know how you get on, always happy to talk food experiments. Mrs Cooper and I spent around a year trying to perfect the Colonel’s secret blend of eleven herbs and spices to make homemade KFC. It’s not 100% but it’s pretty close. I just have to hope she’s still got the final draft of that recipe written down somewhere otherwise we’re back to square one 😱
Send it over and I'll give it a whirl :ROFLMAO:

I love the boneless banquet. Wee ones love the popcorn so everybody wins!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
As if by magic, I literally hit the button on a bag of MSG from Amazon :ROFLMAO:

Looking forward to trying it :cool:
You’re in for a treat. It’s not great for you in huge quantities but it’s definitely not the evil it was made out to be in the nineties.

Cook some noodles and onions and beansprouts in a pan with a generous dash of soy sauce and you’ve got tasty noodles. If you throw a bit of MSG into that scenario you’ve got takeaway chow mein on your hands. I’ve always got some in the cupboard for when flavours really need to pop 👍

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You’re in for a treat. It’s not great for you in huge quantities but it’s definitely not the evil it was made out to be in the nineties.

Cook some noodles and onions and beansprouts in a pan with a generous dash of soy sauce and you’ve got tasty noodles. If you throw a bit of MSG into that scenario you’ve got takeaway chow mein on your hands. I’ve always got some in the cupboard for when flavours really need to pop 👍

Yeah I remember reading something a while back all on MSG. There were numerous experiments with obscene amounts with no effect. Same with everything, look for an issue and you will probably find one. As always too.... everything in moderation :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
everything in moderation :)
Except for today. It’s socially acceptable to start drinking at 9am and consume over 10,000 calories on Christmas Day. I’ve been very good since September and lost two stone, I’m splurging a bit and have another two minutes to see how many pigs in blankets I can fit in my mouth 👍

EDIT - it’s now midnight and the answer was six.

D

Deleted member 41971

Christmas is the only time of year where eating quality street and ferrero roshie for breakfast is acceptable

Capture - Copy.JPG

happy boxing day :love:

Hope everyone had a great Christmas day,

Last edited by a moderator:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Dinner last night consisted of a handful of left over roast potatoes, crackers, cheese, biscuits and chocolate. The Christmas diet is a winner for the soul but not the heart 🤣
One year I was doing Slimming World and actually lost 2lbs over Christmas. No idea quite how I managed that, but safe to say I never did that again!

CMP01

Enthusiast
So, that was Christmas.
Not a bad 'un tbh. I didn't get much by way of gifts but I don't really ever ask for much (being of the somewhat misanthropic habit for years of answering when asked what I want with 'peace and quiet' or similar...)
So I got some socks. Very useful are socks, not so much now that I don't wear through pairs as much marching forth on missions like I used to but still... I haven't yet learned to sew, stitch and darn (hey, it's on the list so maybe a skill share trial or some such might help) but more is good enough. Also some more pairs of Step One's, these I swear by.
Gf got me some new, better fitting indoor/comfy clothes as my oldies shrank over time and/or got painted on during decorating.
Her folks got me a body support pillow, which is a fine gift and replacement for the one I had before. Doesn't sound like much but these are so helpful what with my self immolating spine.
And of course, being at her folks down in chill Midsomer Norton for 3 days was nice and I got fed well... but no gaming as yet.

Still to finish work on PC's and PC room to get to that but I did get a Sabrent NVMe M.2 SSD to PCIe Card to squeeze another m.2 (a 1Tb 980) into my case so I'll be on to that asap. Also, we now have the other pup from my family's pack moved in so our work is well and truly cut out now.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-27 at 19.08.18.jpeg

Anyway, from me and gf, Tommy (the cat) and these two eejits, hope you all had a good 'un and onto the new year... may it be shiny!