There's a hole in my motherboard ...

humourme2

... waiting for the right GPU. During the prebuild I made several changes to the order. After receipt I made several changes to the internals. The use case is initially some number crunching / optimization then in a few months likely will switch to light gaming (more likely starting with a backlog and not anything competitive - long gone are my days of playing twitch games like the original quake over ISDN!); integrated graphics will get me by for a while. I hope.

This is the system:

Custom Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid-Tower Case - White
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 10-Core Processor i5-12600K
RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
2x M2 drives: 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (one for OS, one for data).
PSU: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

I think that it is very quiet. Occasionally I'll stress the system and the top fans might start up, however, I rarely notice. I've set the glow to change from green to amber at 40 degrees and from amber to red at 60 degrees. Usually it is green and the top fans inactive. When 'working' it changes to amber and both top fans are inaudibly turning (The rear fan and the cooler fans are, most of the time active but inaudible, the pump is set to 'silent'). I've not yet properly stress tested this ...

This is WhiteBox in situ:

InSitu (Large).jpg

The desk is tiny so everything looks bigger; you can see a PS4 tucked away on the left. The screen is an Asus 27inch QHD.

I added a fan, changed the rear case fan to a quieter one, rerouted fans, tried the Corsair AOI header connection on various motherboard headers to see if anything happened (it didn't), rotated the radiator through 180 degrees, added a temperature probe (in preparation for overclocking), removed the drive cage and changed fan connections (again).

Before and after shots for the left side and right side are below.

Left:
InsidePCS (Large).jpg
Tweaked (Large).jpg

The temperature probe is tucked away doing nothing at the moment, bottom left. I distrust the temperature readings as the AOI is often higher than the processor on boot. I need to understand this. Also one of the M2 drives is 9 degrees hotter. Something else to investigate.
The radiator was vertically rotated to avoid potential bubbles in the pump. The case needed to be rotated 90 degrees for a few minutes while on, to complement this and flush any bubbles to the radiator.

Right:
NeatCabling (Large).jpg
NotSoNeat (Large).jpg

The PCS wiring was very neat, but also very tight. Possibly too tight. Difficult to judge. I removed 18 or so zip ties to allow rerouting and adjustments. The wiring is now less neat.

Other tweaks made include reinstalling windows to 'fix' a directory structure I'll never use ... after I'd messed up migrating the libraries to the D drive. I've also finally finished the free game OneDriveHell.

Next steps, for another thread will be overclocking attempts and in the longer term filling in the hole in the middle of my case with a GPU.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
... waiting for the right GPU. During the prebuild I made several changes to the order. After receipt I made several changes to the internals. The use case is initially some number crunching / optimization then in a few months likely will switch to light gaming (more likely starting with a backlog and not anything competitive - long gone are my days of playing twitch games like the original quake over ISDN!); integrated graphics will get me by for a while. I hope.

This is the system:

2x M2 drives: 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (one for OS, one for data).
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

I think that it is very quiet. Occasionally I'll stress the system and the top fans might start up however I rarely notice. I've set the glow to change from green to amber at 40 degrees and from amber to red at 60 degrees. Usually it is green and the top fans inactive. When 'working' it changes to amber and both top fans are inaudibly turning (The rear fan and the cooler fans are, most of the time active but inaudible, the pump is set to 'silent'). I've not yet properly stress tested this ...

View attachment 32078

The desk is tiny so everything looks bigger; you can see a PS4 tucked away on the left. The screen is an Asus 27inch QHD.

I added a fan, changed the rear case fan to a quieter one, rerouted fans, tried the Corsair AOI header connection on various motherboard headers to see if anything happened (it didn't), rotated the radiator through 180 degrees, added a temperature probe (in preparation for overclocking), removed the drive cage and changed fan connections (again).

Left:
View attachment 32079View attachment 32080

The temperature probe is tucked away doing nothing at the moment, bottom left. I distrust the temperature readings as the AOI is often higher than the processor on boot. I need to understand this. Also one of the M2 drives is 9 degrees hotter. Something else to investigate.
The radiator was reversed to avoid potential bubbles in the pump. The case needed to be rotated 90 degrees for a few minutes while on to complement this.

Right:
View attachment 32081View attachment 32082

The PCS wiring was very neat, but also very tight. Possibly too tight. Difficult to judge. I removed 18 or so zip ties to allow rerouting and adjustments. The wiring is now less neat.

Other tweaks made include reinstalling windows to 'fix' a directory structure I'll never use ... after I'd messed up migrating the libraries to the D drive. I've also finally finished the free game OneDriveHell.

Next steps, for another thread will be overclocking attempts and in the longer term filling in the hole in the middle of my case with a GPU.
I am loving the white on black aesthetic, I may well look to copy it on my build, it's such a lovely contrast

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Love it! For the temp probe could you route the cable down from the probe into the left grommet and then back up the right grommet to connect to the MB? (I think it's connected to MB at bottom in your pic, apologies if I'm wrong). That way most of the cable is hidden behind PSU shroud?

humourme2

I am loving the white on black aesthetic, I may well look to copy it on my build, it's such a lovely contrast
It happened partly by accident. The case was available in white, when I needed it. It had white fans (the rear white one which I replaced with a black Noctua).

I noticed the motherboard, while an upgrade to what I had planned, was also white/brushed metal on black. So I upgraded for ascetics I'll rarely see as the case has solid sides.

The theme though did dictate that I should aim for black/white accessories.

The white interior does reflect the glow nicely from the RGBs, which shine up through the top. Particularly at night. Again an unintended effect as the AIO was primarily selected as it had the potential to be quiet and fit in the smaller case. With larger cases, longer white radiators are available.

humourme2

Love it! For the temp probe could you route the cable down from the probe into the left grommet and then back up the right grommet to connect to the MB? (I think it's connected to MB at bottom in your pic, apologies if I'm wrong). That way most of the cable is hidden behind PSU shroud?
Yes certainly. It is only where it is now to allow me to position it anywhere within the case. Its final home will probably be plugged in to the Corsair fan controller.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

This is the system:

I think that it is very quiet. Occasionally I'll stress the system and the top fans might start up, however, I rarely notice. I've set the glow to change from green to amber at 40 degrees and from amber to red at 60 degrees. Usually it is green and the top fans inactive. When 'working' it changes to amber and both top fans are inaudibly turning (The rear fan and the cooler fans are, most of the time active but inaudible, the pump is set to 'silent'). I've not yet properly stress tested this ...

View attachment 32078

Left:
View attachment 32079View attachment 32080

The radiator was reversed to avoid potential bubbles in the pump. The case needed to be rotated 90 degrees for a few minutes while on to complement this.

Right:
View attachment 32081View attachment 32082

Next steps, for another thread will be overclocking attempts and in the longer term filling in the hole in the middle of my case with a GPU
This is looking incredible! All it needs now is a Gigabyte Vision of some description 👀 it'll go amazingly with the white and silver accents! 👌

humourme2

This is looking incredible! All it needs now is a Gigabyte Vision of some description 👀 it'll go amazingly with the white and silver accents! 👌

Space in case 341mm. Length of card 320mm. It fits if I rotate the radiator back to the original position. It is a contender although I'm now in the ridiculous position of planning upgrades based on colour.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Space in case 341mm. Length of card 320mm. It fits if I rotate the radiator back to the original position. It is a contender although I'm now in the ridiculous position of planning upgrades based on colour.
Welcome to the world of high end PC's ;) I know Zotac has some more resonably sized white cards that you might be able to get through PCS if your timing is correct