Thermal compound is a silly option? (+ Kingston SSDs for 2nd drive bay)

flobber238

Bronze Level Poster
Hey. A new option on laptops is improved thermal compound. I do not know the performance improvement which this causes, but at an additional cost of £9, is it really necessary to give it as an option?

There are two possible scenarios- 1) the compound does not offer significant improvements, in which case is it worth any money at all? of 2) it offers major improvements, in which case it should be offered as standard ( and I would accept the £9 cost increase ).

To be honest if it does offer any improvement, everybody is going to choose it. So imho it should be either standard, or not even an option.

AND one more thing! Could PCS please make the Kingston SSDs available as an option for the second laptop hard drive bay? That way I can pretend that I'm going to buy a laptop with dual SSDs in Raid :3

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Personally I find it to be well worth it, the main reason I can see that it is not standard is that its not all too difficult to do yourself and speaking from personally experience having done it on a few laptops. The heat difference is good I saw a 10c drop and anything is welcome as the main reason laptops die is due to heat.

If you find that the £9 isnt much then you should go for it, however there people with tight budgets or would just like to do it them self so I see why it isn't standard.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
£9 is definitely worth it, especially if you are using the laptop in hot places, ie on bedding or something, but if you are keeping it on a desk with a laptop cooler, there is no need

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
AND one more thing! Could PCS please make the Kingston SSDs available as an option for the second laptop hard drive bay? That way I can pretend that I'm going to buy a laptop with dual SSDs in Raid :3

Your wish has been granted. :)

iceatcs

£9 is definitely worth it, especially if you are using the laptop in hot places, ie on bedding or something, but if you are keeping it on a desk with a laptop cooler, there is no need
Totally agreed. If you are getting i5 or higher I would recommend to get it even if you not going to overclock it.

iceatcs

I think you cant overclock these chips unless you get the extreme edition.
Who care? All the CPU can be overclock. I overclocked my two i3 and i7 towers. Nothing can stop it but heat.

I said - No matter overclocked or not, you should have better thermal compound for longer lifetime. It is not a silly option.

Last edited:

iceatcs

I see. True, almost no point to save £9.

Maybe anti-silver people :/ (Werewolf?)

Last edited: