Thermal Paste Recommendation

MrShteeeve

Yes I know this is the wrong area, as i didn't know where to post it (and really wanted a quick response). My PS3 is making helluva noise fan always on 100% and I've decided after seeing the crappy job Sony did with the thermal paste I'm going to re-paste it. Any recommendations on decent thermal paste to use?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve.

F3AR

ok, follow my tutorial to make it run 1000% better.

1. Sell it.
2. Buy 360.
3. enjoy peace of mind that your gaming console now has better games, more games anddddd more awesome people!

(and no downtime...)

MrShteeeve

ok, follow my tutorial to make it run 1000% better.

1. Sell it.
2. Buy 360.
3. enjoy peace of mind that your gaming console now has better games, more games anddddd more awesome people!

(and no downtime...)

I have a 360, PS3 and Wii, I just want it so it runs quiet again (compared to the hairdryer that is the 360 ;))

JSG10

Expert
Artic Silver 5 seems to be a popular and reputable one :)

Be interested to see the process of this having never owned a PS3 and never seen the insides of one. Photos of each stage would be greatly appreciated so as to satisfy my curiosity :D

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i, like JSG10 have never seen inside a PS3, or xbox 360 for that matter, but if you are going in there, have a look at the fan, have a look at the socket and see if you can replace it with a high perf one, although do not blame me if this causes a shortage, and if the fan is removable, take it out and give it a good dust, i took out the 2 fans from my old computer and now they look as good as new, although i have yet to try them, but i expect them to be better than before, make sure its in a well ventilated place as well and remove it from carpet if its on it as there is vital ventilation at the bottom

i was considering looking inside my 360, but cant seem to find any screws on the case

also i think you may be able to use the right size PC fan because consoles are just PC hardware

MrShteeeve

It's already been taken apart once, hence me knowing Sony can't apply TP for toffee! its a fairly large fan mind you, I'll have a look though. Also been inside a few 360's for repairs, lot more space in the 360, while pretty much all the space in the PS3's case is being used. It's not the fan that's the problem, fan works fine, just CPU always gets hot as the TP is doing nothing to transfer heat to heatsink so fan is always on max. I'll post pics when i get round to doing it etc.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
well measure the fan if you decide to take it out, and give it a good dust, also does it have a cleanable heat sink? clean that, and the processor cooling fan, then your cooling should be much more efficient without relying on the thermal paste, before looking under the hood i recommend leaving the ps3 off for a while, apparently it can get REAL hot, literally frying eggs and stuff

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
Do whatever's been said or stick a Titan Fenrir cooler that PCS sell on it.

Or....

Cut the casing, install a 120mm/140mm fan using step-down ring and DIY a bracket for that HSF that Sony uses. It'll make your PS3 look like Shrek but who cares when it runs cooler and quieter? :p