Think I need some new cooling...

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
Have u got any thoughts of what ya gonna get? What specs do u have and what do u use your pc for?

Last edited:

lewishollings

Bright Spark
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX (LGA1155)

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Only thing I think would make things awkward when it comes to cooling is my case, it's a COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE

tom_gr7

Life Serving
what cpu cooler do you have?

i think it would be a good idea to add a side fan, it may be that the cpu cooler aint getting enough airflow.

also, go inside the rig, and check that the cpu cooler is seated properly and doesn't wobble. I don't think it would do, but defo check.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
what cpu cooler do you have?

i think it would be a good idea to add a side fan, it may be that the cpu cooler aint getting enough airflow.

also, go inside the rig, and check that the cpu cooler is seated properly and doesn't wobble. I don't think it would do, but defo check.

just the standard that comes with the cpu, and where would I purchase a side fan? I will check :)

lewishollings

Bright Spark
nope, the cpu cooler doesn't wobble and is sitting pretty :) I honestly have no clue what would be causing it to get so hot other than the cooler

tom_gr7

Life Serving
im guessing it would be because

1 - the standard cpu cooler isnt amazing, but it still should be that hot.
2 - airflow problem, not enough cool air getting to the cpu cooler.
3 - too much thermal paste,

If i were you, i'd look at getting a different cpu cooler, you can get cheap ones that are really good! as well as thermal paste change.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
im guessing it would be because

1 - the standard cpu cooler isnt amazing, but it still should be that hot.
2 - airflow problem, not enough cool air getting to the cpu cooler.
3 - too much thermal paste,

If i were you, i'd look at getting a different cpu cooler, you can get cheap ones that are really good! as well as thermal paste change.

I havent added any thermal paste since PCS sent it too me, bit nervous to open my baby up haha but I will definitely look into the cpu cooler

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you could look at getting the triple copper cooler from PCS using the upgrade service.

- just one to note though, you may have to get to the back of the mobo, to change the cpu backplate. I dont know how big the cpu cutout is on your case, if its BIG then thats easy, but if not you may need to remove the motherboard.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
you could look at getting the triple copper cooler from PCS using the upgrade service.

- just one to note though, you may have to get to the back of the mobo, to change the cpu backplate. I dont know how big the cpu cutout is on your case, if its BIG then thats easy, but if not you may need to remove the motherboard.

Yeh I am gonna have to remove my motherboard to take the backplate off, I figure I will have to learn eventually though and it should be okay as long as im careful :) I will look into the upgrade service though!

lewishollings

Bright Spark

Wow cheaper than I thought! would only cost me £40 using the upgrade service, probably a lot safer too :L