Thinking of getting the Ultranote 2 14 inch

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
Hello,

I have started my own company and now looking to get a laptop. I was looking at a Lenovo Yoga 2 13, however they work out really expensive, so I came on here to see what else was available.

The first thing about the new PC is that it needs to be mobile and portable. I have a dell E6410 at the moment with all the kit I have to carry in my bag, and the strap has ripped because of the weight. Also, I need to ensure that it is easy to carry round when configuring switches and other devices in a data centre.

Secondly, it needs to perform well. I am looking at the Samsung 265 SSD, 8Gb of RAM, and intel i7 MQ processor.

I will be running Windows 8 pro, Hyper V, Office, powershell, chrome and IE, and Microsoft Lync most of the time on the desktop. At the moment my Dell uses about 3.4GB of RAM (it has 8GB) so i think 8GB will be ok.

Thoughts please ?

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Fair enough. Maybe something like this:
Chassis & Display UltraNote: 14" Glossy HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1366x768) If you went with the 15.6" version then you could get the full HD screen
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4712MQ (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card INTEL® HD GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 4600
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW) Decent SSD, any of them should do other than the Kingston V300
mSATA SSD Drive NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive UltraNote Series: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND Decent Cooling
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE N-6300 (450Mbps) Better wireless as the standard one has issues
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery UltraNote Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62.16WH) (Up to 7 Hours)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 65W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence Wasn't sure if you had your own copy already or not?
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Carry Case NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor NONE
Keyboard Language ULTRANOTE SERIES UK KEYBOARD
Additional Keyboard NONE
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
External Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE
Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £596.67
Price £716.00

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
The Spec of this looks fine :)

I dont want a 15 inch one as those are not very portable. Its a pitty that there is no 13 inch laptop available which is thinner than the other ones on the site at the moment. The Optimus, although looks ok, is far to thick for what I am looking for. Would be nice if they trimmed the GFX down to something that is not for games, and incorporated a mini displayport, no dvd drive etc.

A 13inch version of the Voyager would have been good with a HD screen. I would like a HD screen but I dont want a 15 inch laptop.

I use my laptop for things like:
travelling on the train - the desk is limited in size on a train
working for clients - sometimes they have a desk, sometimes on the corner of the desk, sometimes in the data centre
Configuring switches while out on site via usb serial cable
doing presentations for board members

So a lightish, powerfull from a disk and cpu - with 8GB would be great. I hope the ultranote will fit the bill for all this though.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Yeah, the ultranote should be great for your intended use. On the 14" screen a 720p screen should be alright, especially if it's not being used for anything graphically intensive.