Thinking of Upgrading CPU & Ram

frankmite

Hi

My current spec is:

Case
NZXT H500 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (BLACK)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

I am thinking of upgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 7 3800X and my ram to 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16gb). My question is do you think I will need to upgrade anything else as a result such as my power supply/ processor cooler?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

My current spec is:

Case
NZXT H500 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (BLACK)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

I am thinking of upgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 7 3800X and my ram to 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16gb). My question is do you think I will need to upgrade anything else as a result such as my power supply/ processor cooler?
For what purposes are you upgrading, what do you use the PC for?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Mainly gaming, the game I play (Planetside 2) is quite CPU and Ram intensive
Cool. So I would hold off until the 8th October because AMD are announcing the Ryzen 5000 desktop CPU's and IIRC they're set to be supported on the X470 factoring in a BIOS update.

The upcoming CPU's are a whole new architecture and set to beat intel in single core gaming performance for the first time since early 2000's really, it's going to be very exciting, and in multicore it will just further decimate them.

Regarding the RAM, you can easily fit 3200MHz which would play much nicer with Ryzen 3000 or 4000. It's just a case of applying what's known as a DOCP in the BIOS which is a pre configured overclock profile for the RAM, it's literally just a case of selecting an overclock speed in a drop down. We can talk you through it if you have any issues.

frankmite

Cool. So I would hold off until the 8th October because AMD are announcing the Ryzen 5000 desktop CPU's and IIRC they're set to be supported on the X470 factoring in a BIOS update.

The upcoming CPU's are a whole new architecture and set to beat intel in single core gaming performance for the first time since early 2000's really, it's going to be very exciting, and in multicore it will just further decimate them.

Regarding the RAM, you can easily fit 3200MHz which would play much nicer with Ryzen 3000 or 4000. It's just a case of applying what's known as a DOCP in the BIOS which is a pre configured overclock profile for the RAM, it's literally just a case of selecting an overclock speed in a drop down. We can talk you through it if you have any issues.

Thanks, I guess I'll wait to get a new CPU then.

Regarding the RAM, I tried enabling DOCP for my current ram but when I went into the BIOS it didn't show an option to enable it. Is this just my current ram not allowing it? Would I be able to upgrade my RAM now to 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16gb) while I wait for the new CPUs and be able to enable it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Regarding the RAM, I tried enabling DOCP for my current ram but when I went into the BIOS it didn't show an option to enable it. Is this just my current ram not allowing it?
You have to have 3200MHz RAM, if the RAM isn't rated for the speed then it won't work with a DOCP. You'd need to do a manual overclock which would rely on the integrity of your individual RAM sticks.
Would I be able to upgrade my RAM now to 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16gb) while I wait for the new CPUs and be able to enable it?
Like I say, I wouldn't, 2666MHz will impact performance on any Ryzen 3000 or 4000 CPU.

If you wanted 3200MHz, just go on your account and go to the upgrades section. And I'm not sure you'd benefit from 32Gb for gaming, unless you're playing flight sims or heavily modded games.