Thoughts on high-end, long-lasting gaming laptop

Shgshthx

Hello,
With the release of RTX 30 series, the time has come to replace my 5+ year-old MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro and the customisation offered by PCS has caught my eye.
Don't get me wrong, it still works perfectly well and still can run pretty much anything (especially after I removed the accumulated dust and replaced thermal paste), although as one would expect, it's beginning to struggle a bit with the new titles even on low settings with some.

Note: I don't care about resolution higher than 1920x1080 and have no use for over-the-top graphic settings (read very to ultra high), just want the device that I can expect to be able to run anything smoothly, with good settings (read normal to high) for years to come. I do not wish to go with smaller than 17" screen.
Given the available options, the cost is not a concern—under £3K is perfect.

If you would be so kind and offer feedback on the setup I created, specifically RAM config, SSDs (I own a separate 1.6TB Fuzedrive already, so far quite happy with it) and if you'd recon to wait if 11th Gen Intel shows up (omitted non-performance selections).

Chassis & Display Defiance Series:
17.3" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor:
Intel® Core i7 Eight Core Processor 10870H (2.2GHz, 5.0GHz Turbo)

Memory:
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 Max-Q - 16.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

1st M.2 SSD Drive:
1.6TB ENMOTUS FUZEDRIVE M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3470MB/R, 3000MB/W, 128GB SLC for endurance)
250GB Partition for OS

2nd M.2 SSD Drive:
1.6TB ENMOTUS FUZEDRIVE M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3470MB/R,3000MB/W, 128GB SLC for endurance)

Bluetooth & Wireless:
GIGABIT LAN & KILLERTM Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0

Operating System:
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Bhuna50

Author Level
Just says 17.3" DEFIANCE[emoji2400], no number with it-- it's the only one with RTX 3080 in the gaming section.

For someone that isn’t bothered about going higher than 1080p gaming, then why waste money on the 3080?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 17” Defiance’s are Clevo

Yes, to be more specific it's a Clevo PC70DS

Clevo's are much more reliable chassis than the TongFang options on some other models, I would absolutely recommend Clevo's, I'm still using mine daily which is a 2014 model, never had an issue.

Shgshthx

For someone that isn’t bothered about going higher than 1080p gaming, then why waste money on the 3080?

Because what I have now is 8GB GPU and if I had to guess, it's the the only thing that's allowing me to play late-2020 releases relatively smoothly. With 3060, yes, it would still be an upgrade in technology, but not in available memory. Going by this logic—aware that this may be wrong—3080 with 16GB may be powerful enough to last as long as the current GPU. It's a long-term investment.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Because what I have now is 8GB GPU and if I had to guess, it's the the only thing that's allowing me to play late-2020 releases relatively smoothly. With 3060, yes, it would still be an upgrade in technology, but not in available memory. Going by this logic—aware that this may be wrong—3080 with 16GB may be powerful enough to last as long as the current GPU. It's a long-term investment.
What's your current GPU?

At 1080p, about 4GB VRAM will be more than enough.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
GeForce GTX 980M
It’s not the VRAM that’s holding it back, it’s a 6 year old card that was aimed at 1080p.

the 3080 is a 4k card, very different beast.

I would still spec the gpu as high as possible though on a laptop, it’s the first bottleneck and you can’t swap them out.

Bhuna50

Author Level
My thoughts are though that if you are speccing the 3080, then wait to see what 1440p screens are coming on the laptops as well.

these laptops have only just been released in the last 10 days. Unfortunately the only 1440ps at moment on laptop are on the TongFang chassis which has had its complaints lately as well as not featuring the 3080 card.

I would hope that further choices are on there way as the new chips are coming along with the 3000 series GPUs in laptops.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My thoughts are though that if you are speccing the 3080, then wait to see what 1440p screens are coming on the laptops as well.

these laptops have only just been released in the last 10 days. Unfortunately the only 1440ps at moment on laptop are on the TongFang chassis which has had its complaints lately as well as not featuring the 3080 card.

I would hope that further choices are on there way as the new chips are coming along with the 3000 series GPUs in laptops.
I would strongly reiterate this as well. With the power of modern GPU's, 1440p is the sweetspot for gaming. 4k is too much for such a small screen, but 1440p is just right, and the GPU's can handle it no problem.

Shgshthx

I would strongly reiterate this as well. With the power of modern GPU's, 1440p is the sweetspot for gaming. 4k is too much for such a small screen, but 1440p is just right, and the GPU's can handle it no problem.
Thank you both on your input. Did you happen to observe the previous periods in which PCS get new models of the chassis, for an estimate of how long before the new ones may be available?
The setup I made is noted as "Shipping from: 9 February 2021" due to the GPUs alone, whereas the 1080p Clevo chassis currently in my selection is marked as New.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you both on your input. Did you happen to observe the previous periods in which PCS get new models of the chassis, for an estimate of how long before the new ones may be available?
The setup I made is noted as "Shipping from: 9 February 2021" due to the GPUs alone, whereas the 1080p Clevo chassis currently in my selection is marked as New.
Not sure I follow? The new chassis aren’t released until the end of February so at the moment you can only preorder.

Shgshthx

Not sure I follow? The new chassis aren’t released until the end of February so at the moment you can only preorder.
Yes, though it says stock due on 09-02-2021 (end of February counting the standard build).

"Intel® Core™ i7-10870H when combined with 16GB GeForce RTX 3080 Max-Q + 17.3" Matte Full HD 240Hz Screen. Stock is due: 09-02-2021."

Aware I have to wait until then, or pre-order (going to wait until then at least though, gives time to see other possible choices before then), however, since you encouraged me to go with 1440p—which are currently unavailable with Clevo chassis—I'd like to have an idea of what I could potentially expect in terms of waiting for 1440 Clevo chassis, if possible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, though it says stock due on 09-02-2021 (end of February counting the standard build).

"Intel® Core™ i7-10870H when combined with 16GB GeForce RTX 3080 Max-Q + 17.3" Matte Full HD 240Hz Screen. Stock is due: 09-02-2021."

Aware I have to wait until then, or pre-order (going to wait until then at least though, gives time to see other possible choices before then), however, since you encouraged me to go with 1440p—which are currently unavailable with Clevo chassis—I'd like to have an idea of what I could potentially expect in terms of waiting for 1440 Clevo chassis, if possible.
Not something we could advise on, you'd have to ask PCS.