Thoughts on Possible PC

steaky360

I think you need to use a DVI-HDMI adapter (HDMI cable into the monitor) to get the speakers on the monitor working. I don't think DVI-DVI will work.

However, you could also use a jack into the monitor (there'll probably be an audio in jack on the monitor). I'd recommend you use dedicated speakers though rather than the ones on the monitor.

Last edited:

BenV

To be honest, I don't really want to invest money in dedicated speakers, especially considering I'll be using my headset a lot. The speakers are just there in case my headset gets damaged or I can't be bothered using them, for whatever reason.

I'm thinking of switching the monitor to one that has HDMI, and also built in speakers. And I'm pretty sure HDMI carries sound, so would that work?

steaky360

Yeah HDMI definitely carries sound and will work straight away.

EDIT: Keynes is right though, most monitors like that will come with a 3.5in Jack for sound, plugging that into your audio out from the PC will carry the sound no problems.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I read somewhere that DVI can't produce sound independently. The monitor I chose has built in speakers, but will they actually be functional if the monitor is connected simply via the DVI? Sorry if this is a stupid question. :wacko:
The monitor speakers wont work with DVI or a DVI to HDMI Adaptor,it needs to be a straight HDMI to HDMI connection,or simply use an audio cable,just connect it from your sound card to the audio input on the monitor as with normal speakers.
most monitors with speakers are supplied with one.

steaky360

The monitor speakers wont work with DVI or a DVI to HDMI Adaptor,it needs to be a straight HDMI to HDMI connection.

I don't think that's quite right, you can get audio out through a DVI-HDMI (I can on my 690s). I think the graphics card needs to be HDCP compliant (most modern ones are) for that to work.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I don't think that's quite right, you can get audio out through a DVI-HDMI (I can on my 690s). I think the graphics card needs to be HDCP compliant (most modern ones are) for that to work.
I think that only works with some older cards,I could be wrong though :)
HDCP has nothing to do with audio far as I know,it's to do with copy right protection.

Last edited:

steaky360

I think that only works with some older cards,I could be wrong though :)
HDCP has nothing to do with audio far as I know,it's to do with copy right protection.

It works with my cards, ok... not the latest but certainly not old :) - might be because my card doesn't have HDMI outs though. I think that might be the reason why it works, the 690 doesn't have a HDMI output.

I think the HDCP comment may be confusing the issue, but it does affect Audio - a HDCP source (DVD/Blu-Ray etc.) will not output HD audio to a non-HDCP device or via anything other than a HDMI cable (or DVI-HDMI adapter into a HDMI cable in this case). I guess that probably wouldn't affect the OP though.

BenV

So if I just order the original monitor I was going to get, it should come with the necessary equipment for it to output audio?