Timeless music (It has happened.....)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
.....I have just introduced my two girls to an iconic album from my teens - The Black Album. They are transfixed. The Unforgiven has been on repeat in particular which is no surprise. Their lives will now never be the same. They will thank me later I'm sure.

I love how some music remains timeless and impresses generation after generation in exactly the same way that it seemed to have upon first release, which shows it true quality I think. Very little survives the test of time.

So, what other albums are out there that fit that criteria I wonder? Not albums that sound just as fresh and new now as they did at release to us, but which still captivate new generations in the same way decades later?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just googled the Black album and came up with multiple results (The Beatles, Jay-Z, Metallica, prince, the Damned)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
.....I have just introduced my two girls to an iconic album from my teens - The Black Album. They are transfixed. The Unforgiven has been on repeat in particular which is no surprise. Their lives will now never be the same. They will thank me later I'm sure.

I love how some music remains timeless and impresses generation after generation in exactly the same way that it seemed to have upon first release, which shows it true quality I think. Very little survives the test of time.

So, what other albums are out there that fit that criteria I wonder? Not albums that sound just as fresh and new now as they did at release to us, but which still captivate new generations in the same way decades later?
I paid quite a bit for a really special vinyl version, I adore the album, unforgiven and nothing else matters are anthems from my teens, and the sound quality of the copy I have is insanely good.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Another one for me has to be the Pink Floyd big 4 imho

Dark Side Of The Moon
Wish you Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Those are such iconic albums that move from start to finish rather than individual titles.

Incredible albums.

My eldest nephew is now 16, and is really developing his own sense of music, he's really relating to Rap, including some of the classic 90's artists, we've actually just ordered the same record for Christmas :) He's also just venturing into the world of vinyl which I'm so excited about showing him the ropes.

I think also, a lot of the Beatles albums are still very popular amongst younger generations. They've just done an incredible job on remastering most of the big later releases by Giles Martin (George Martin's son, the original producer on the Beatles records). He's done an incredible job I think, I'm working my way towards obtaining all the deluxe box sets.

But apparently these remixes have been very popular amongst the young.

And of course, recently, with Kate Bushes "Running Up That Hill" finally hitting number one after being on the Stranger Things soundtrack and her getting the recognition she so deserved decades ago. She's extremely popular now amongst the young.

And The Who's popularity really pushed to the limilight in recent years by their tracks headlining on almost every show of CSI

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Great topic! A few suggestions off the top of my head…

The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat

Can - Tago Mago

Prince - Sign o’ the Times

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

And of course…

Mr Blobby - The Album

F14AE971-90F9-4EC3-89DE-7D2A17FC140C.gif

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
Prince withdrew his Black Album just before it's release because he got some bad vibes from it, but promotional copies had already been sent out & it was soon bootlegged. A few years later he released it.