Tired of console gaming and switching to PC gaming, need advice :)

Adsike

So, I'm not sure on building a computer myself and I would prefer and gaming laptop anyway. I've chosen the laptop and spec's I would like although I do need other people's opinions and feedback before I actually do buy it haha. Basically before I went into console I was mad on playing mmo's but going over to my Xbox I now play games like battlefield 3 modern warfare 3. Basically I love my fps but since I am going to be playing on a laptop I more then likely will be interested in mmo's again. so I just need views in his this would run mw3 bf3 (I hear is an fps killer) and I'm also interested in playing star wars: the old republic. I've been in game-debate and typed in these specs and it says yeah yeah it can run it in high settings. But yeah

Just the core components: ENIGMA III

Processor (CPU) intel core i5 dual core mobile processor i5-2450m, 2.50ghz. 3mb

Memory (RAM) 8gb Samsung 1333mhz sodimm DDR3 memory 2x4gb

Graphics Card GeForce GT 540m 2GB DDR3 video ram

Thanks too all that read and reply.

Last edited:

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Could you please post your whole spec? Do your spec in the configurator, press proceed, then continue to get
past the box that comes up. Then on the page that comes up, scroll down to below the price and click the box that says post to forum. Then copy the spec and paste it in your reply. Your spec does look ok but for games like mw3, bf3, swtor, you would probably need a better gpu. Also, what is your budget?

Adsike

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-2350M (2.30GHz) 3MB (EDIT wrong processor): processor (CPU) intel core i5 dual core mobile processor i5-2450m, 2.50ghz. 3mb
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
ENIGMA GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £562.00 including VAT and delivery.

Here you go buddy. Thanks i could probably get a better GPU im buying on finance so i suppose there is a limit but i dont want to spend tooo much.
Im working part time roughly 20 hours a week and bring in 150 quid per week so i simply get paid and then pay things off, like board phone contract ect. and dont really have alot left after to start saving so, i would buy on finance. :(. Either way, please do post your reply. sorry if there was any typo's before. using iPad and the predict text is awefull.

Thanks

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Don't worry about typos, I am using an iPhone 3g (not the s version) and the keyboard doesn't keep up with my typing! Also, can't see half my keyboard, bottom left corner of my screen doesn't work! Anyway, back on topic. Your spec looks fine if you can afford an optimus that would be great but maybe not possible for you. The only thing I would
change on that spec is to get the silver warranty, well worth the fiver!

Adsike

haha bless ya. I got the 3GS as my phone and omg some funny typo's come out of the little bugger. sorry for the late reply i ended up spending all night on forza and sleeping the day away, But. As you was saying the games i listed could do with a different processor. Which would you recommend i need to know D:

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I envy your 3gs, so much more powerful than mine! For the CPU, it isn't as important for gaming. Ideally, if you can afford it, the i7 quad core is a good CPU. The i5 should be ok though, I would recommend upgrading the gpu and chassis baforw you upgrade the CPU.

Adsike

This is how noobie i am. I thought you ment CPU, How would i go about upgrading the GPU ?

Adsike

Yeah i just read about it, haha. :)
Apart from that though the spec's i listed would be fine to run these game smoothly on med/high ?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
if you cant afford much more on a laptop, id recommend a desktop you can get much better for the same money

Adsike

Ahhh >.< i hear that so much. whilst that is true, i'm dead set on a laptop because i'm always moving around from my dad's to my mums and my partners. i pretty much take this current laptop with me everywhere i go. i honestly do see your opinion and yeah if i was stationary for more then a week i probably would but i'm not :(
Your point is extremely valid and true and i appreciate your input but i cant :/

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Fair enough, laptop do seem the better option for your portability. The Enigma should be fine for you for a few years gaming wise.

Adsike

All i can say is thank you so very much. I certainly hope this laptop lasts :p. im taking the silver warrenty as you advised its only a fiver so cant moan at that and ordering a cooling fan also.

Thank you to the both of you :)