To Dust Or Not To Dust??

Stappa

Enthusiast
After a 2 hr session on BF3 i thought i'd check my temps.......my GTX 580 was running at around 83c, ummm I thought that's abit hot?i realized I have not dedusted for more than 6 months.......the next day I took my PC to work to give it a serious dedust,so after creating a 'Hiroshima' sized dust cloud lol and testing my temps that evening my 580 was around 62c after 2-3 hours of gaming;)

so the dedust reduced my GPU temps by around 40%

btw my PC lives 75mm above the carpet in a pet/smoke free house that's kept relatively clean,were does all that damn dust come from lol,

Bsrz

Rising Star
may I ask what did you use to de dust your pc? its always helpful to know for when I get mine although I doubt I will have many dust problems with a wooden floor begin fitted.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I guess I should give mine a dust then! Didn't realise it's been 5-6 months since I've had mine and haven't really done much in terms of physical maintenance. My GPU runs at about 81 degrees underload which I assumed would be fine but if de-dusting can help then why not!

Do you spray everywhere or just the fans? Like do you spray all your GPU and mobo, etc?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
After a 2 hr session on BF3 i thought i'd check my temps.......my GTX 580 was running at around 83c, ummm I thought that's abit hot?i realized I have not dedusted for more than 6 months.......the next day I took my PC to work to give it a serious dedust,so after creating a 'Hiroshima' sized dust cloud lol and testing my temps that evening my 580 was around 62c after 2-3 hours of gaming;)

so the dedust reduced my GPU temps by around 40%

btw my PC lives 75mm above the carpet in a pet/smoke free house that's kept relatively clean,were does all that damn dust come from lol,

Most of it comes from you....a huge percentage of household dust is sloughed-off human skin. I know, it's gross! :helpsmilie:

Stappa

Enthusiast
LOL I've used cans of air but they are expensive,and dont provide enough 'air time', I've tried our electric air compressor(used for inflatables)and they are not 'powerful' enough,so I now use professional compressors at work(spray shop)though u need to be careful as they are very powerful,they also need moisture filters fitted unless the compressor is used in conjunction with a chiller,as already mentioned hold the fans one at a time etc and dont blow at 'full throttle'............

imo the entire case needs a good blow but especially the CPU cooler,the GPU and the PSU, they are always the components that need the most attension

Last edited:

Outerarm

...so I now use professional compressors at work(spray shop)...
Ah, great idea! I have a compressor for a hobby airbrush with moisture trap and variable pressure -- can easily get up to 50 psi on it which should be enough for a good clean. Thanks!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
On my old case, I had a massive dust problem, even though it was filters up to max!

but on my trooper case, I dont really have too much of a issue. The bottom intake filters are really good, and i've added extra filters to the two 120mm fans. As well as two 140mm magnetic filters on the side panel. The extra filters really do work, and the dust gets caught in them instead of in my components.

I've also used loads of filters, to which I've found that silverstone filters are the best! and well worth 5 quid each!

Its certainly worth regular cleaning, dust build up is not good for good temps and doesn't it also increase the risk of static electricity?

Stappa

Enthusiast
imo filters are a 'two edged sword' as my filters got totally coated in dust in a very short time,thus stopping the required airflow getting to the hot components??I removed my filters over 2 years ago lol

tom_gr7

Life Serving
imo filters are a 'two edged sword' as my filters got totally coated in dust in a very short time,thus stopping the required airflow getting to the hot components??I removed my filters over 2 years ago lol

take then out and clean them? in water for free?

lol, two years of dust build up. I couldnt neglect my pc like that...

Stappa

Enthusiast
take then out and clean them? in water for free?

lol, two years of dust build up. I couldnt neglect my pc like that...

U dont need water mate your hoover will suffice? and No I didnt wait 2 years to dedust I average every 4 months ish,its just this last dedust was 6-7 months instead of the 4 months

tom_gr7

Life Serving
U dont need water mate your hoover will suffice? and No I didnt wait 2 years to dedust I average every 4 months ish,its just this last dedust was 6-7 months instead of the 4 months

am kiddin dude :)

but yea, I used water a few times... cause the filters are removable and our hoover is rubbish....

Rakk

The Awesome
I wash my filters in water, they're magnetic ones so just sit on the side of the case so are easily removable and water gets rid of the dust in less time than it would take to get the hoover from upstairs, find a plug socket and turn it on :)