Torn between the Samsung Odyssey G5 and G7

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there.

Recently bought a new PC and a Samsung Odyssey G5 to go with. Although I loved the picture, I unfortunately had to return it because it had dead pixels. I was only offered a refund as opposed to a full replacement which has given me the opportunity to consider another monitor.

I have an RTX 3080 in the rig but to prioritise frames have opted to go for a 1440p monitor as opposed to one that is 4K. On the surface, the G7 seems much better than the G5, with a refresh rate of 240 Hz compared to the G5's 144 Hz. Both monitors have a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1440p.

However, I'm unsure if the 240 Hz will be wasted at 1440p with a 3080 or if it'll impact performance much compared to having 144 Hz. I'm a little worried about pushing my PC more than I really need to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
However, I'm unsure if the 240 Hz will be wasted at 1440p with a 3080 or if it'll impact performance much compared to having 144 Hz.
The PC will output whatever frames the GPU can manage at that resolution, doesn't matter what screen refresh you have, if the GPU's outputting 240Hz, then if the monitor can display up to that, it will show 240fps, if it's only 144Hz, then it will only ever show a max of 144fps.

So G5 or G7 will not affect the load on the GPU at all.

I would say get the G7, and personally I'd always go with the 32", but others are more favourable for the 27"

I think the panel on the 32" is slightly superior from reviews.

3080 would be wasted at 144Hz 1440p anyway.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
The PC will output whatever frames the GPU can manage at that resolution, doesn't matter what screen refresh you have, if the GPU's outputting 240Hz, then if the monitor can display up to that, it will show 240fps, if it's only 144Hz, then it will only ever show a max of 144fps.

So G5 or G7 will not affect the load on the GPU at all.

I would say get the G7, and personally I'd always go with the 32", but others are more favourable for the 27"

I think the panel on the 32" is slightly superior from reviews.

3080 would be wasted at 144Hz 1440p anyway.
Thanks! I might go for the G7 instead then.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
As someone with the G7 32" paired with a 3080 I can confirm its a brilliant combination and one you won't regret.
Sweet. I went with the 27" version instead though, due to desk space the 32" may be slightly too big for me.