Total war Warhammer delayed, what are your thoughts?

KaneMac

Enthusiast
They have announced this first title in a trilogy will be delayed by a month, being now released on the 23rd of may. I am happy to see this as this shows that creative assembly have learned from the Rome 2 release. I never expect a game like this to be without its bugs on release, but I expect the performance to be polished, even on the warscape engine. On the announcement of this they said the typical comment that the game could be the best total war game theye have made, so want to make sure is done properly. Which is what they said on empire and rome 2 so that I take with a pinch of salt as well. Only time will tell, yet I am not getting this game until it have been released for a while, updated and maybe upgrade my processor.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Ive learned not to trust Creative Assembly due to their games coming out being a buggy mess on more than one occasion.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Ive learned not to trust Creative Assembly due to their games coming out being a buggy mess on more than one occasion.

Not only is every TW game a buggy horrible mess, most of them are terrible copies/ports of the previous game with different skins based on that terrible outdated engine.

lol, Attilia doesn't even run on SLI.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Attilia doesn't even run on SLI .
It did in December (quick check, late Jan even) when I was benching two 970s vs a 980 ti. Granted scaling wasn't great. Agreed about the buggy mess on release though, and reskins. Though Attila's campaigns mechanics can be quite different to Rome 2.

I'm quite keen to get WH TW but want to read up more about how DLC will work - what's in the base game and what isn't etc. CA have been very annoying about DLC in recent TW games to my mind.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Decided to pre-order in the end, the game seems decent, has had good reviews, and the extension of the Chaos Warrior offer and the announcement of a further race being free dlc later helped the decision.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/total-war-warhammer

My copy arrived today. When I tried to install it from the discs Steam asked for the code, which was successfully activated, and then said I couldn't install is from the discs as it's not yet been released. It is letting me pre-download it though. Which somewhat negates the point of the discs but hey ho. :)

AMD have also announced they are working with CA closely in the implementation of a DX12 patch, so we might be seeing another Ashes scenario:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073...erformance-preview-radeon-reigns-supreme.html

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Been a long time since i posted on this forum, curious as its been a while total war warhammer has been out, with some DLC, what are peoples thoughts so far?

For me this total war is the most polished on release in my opinion, and very well optimised. Runs better than attila for me. Reason why I think this game runs better is due to the trade off with 1v1 animations, they have gone back to the old ways of none 1v1 duel animations (unless its commanders or giants). sieges run great, due to much smaller sizes, with huge backdrops (i like this, but do miss larger cities). The sieges feel more meaningful, as the walls truly are key to victory.

Battles are really interesting, as all races play different so there is much more variation in tactics, units are more defined in the role they take. Example, Dwarfs are a strong defensive army, relies on line defence, with artillery to weaken as enemy approaches, with great ranges units, while gyrocopters can harass the enemy early battle, while beast men and orcs need more rush, flank tactics to win etc

The campaign is fantastic, great new features, and each race have its own goals and challenges, great map, with real depth, some great strategic positions of towns and cities, which can be well utilised.

My only complaint is the poor multiplayer, shogun 2, as many will agree was the great, had real depth. I understand the way the unit models were made means we cannot easily customise, like we could on shougun 2 multiplayer, but an army painter would have been great, and WHERE ARE THE BANNERS!!

What are your thoughts?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I enjoyed WHTW a lot. While the number of factions was pretty limited, they were suitably distinct in character and playstyle.

I'm furious about the whole DX12 thing though. The whole DX12 implementation is basically limited Async Compute in order to make Radeon cards look better in benchmarks, they haven't even bothered optimising the way the CPU is used at all. And a recent patch to "improve Nvidia DX12 performance" actually just nerfed DX11 performance on my 970 - in DX11 it had previously been outperforming the R9 390 in DX12. There are also R9 200 series card users who are reporting DX12 improves their in-game benchmark results but tanks their performance when they actually play the campaign and battles.

That and the fact that - so it seems - Games Workshop's influence had meant mods weren't to be allowed with a cave-in on that point only a short while before launch makes it the most politicised, for want of a better word, TW title so far.

I'm hoping for a Bretonnia FreeLC (I think a freeLC race has been announced and the Brets probably make most sense since their units are already in game)