Tpb

Buzz

Master
British ISPs forced to block The Pirate Bay

british-isps-forced-to-block-the-pirate-bay

This has been done ages already in Ireland and although I know that stopping piracy has to start somewhere, I really dont think measures like this will make any difference, with so many other methods or ways around it.

The only real way around it IMO is either taking the sites down totally like lot of others have been over the last while and if they cant, in places like Sweden and Germany with different laws, then every other country must block it, so people cant just switch IP.

Music companies and Movie companies say they are losing billions, but I believe that most artists that are not mega stars actually benefit from file sharing and youtube etc etc. and I think its only mega stars (U2, Metallica, Madonna and the like) who actually dont as far as CD sales go, but yet still sell out every concert which is where the big money is realistically and sitting on the money they have they should allow other up and coming stars to have their stuff shared around.

I personally wouldn't DL music or movies as I just use the likes of youtube and online radio players and my brother is the manager of a cinema here so I can see movies anytime, so I don't have to bother, But I would hate if I couldn't listen to music online because I have found so many great artists and music which I end up buying after I have heard it from online (same as many would from DL illegal stuff) for the first time which I never ever would have otherwise.

Just wondering what your thoughts on the matter are....

mishra

Rising Star
... get yourself VPN and the whole ISP block of this is all for nothing. They should spend money and time on better things than that tbh.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
... get yourself VPN and the whole ISP block of this is all for nothing. They should spend money and time on better things than that tbh.

No offence mishra, but people that do this to "get around the rules" are enabling sites like TPB to continue.

/High horse

Why should the rest of us pay for goods and services that others steal? Hardly anyone that illegally DLs data on the internet would even think about walking into HMV and stealing a CD or game...there is no difference. All we end up with is the rest of us having to pay more for the things we buy as companies lose money on the pirated material (and not everything that TPB and their ilk steal is from huge multi nationals that can "afford it").

/jumps off and goes back to being the happy go lucky chap that he normally is

Buzz

Master
so people cant just switch IP.

... get yourself VPN and the whole ISP block of this is all for nothing

Thats all a vpn does is switch the IP addy.

I have a lot of mates who are musicians and I dabble in music myself.

In essence its exactly like DED said. Its just like going into a shop and grabbing a CD and walking out.

I have a VPN but is used in conjunction with other payed sites. Like in the US and UK so I can watch Iplayer etc etc. All legal and paid for. But to just go online and grab something that I dont own, well id just be a hypocrite if I did it because I would hate if my mate made a song, knowing how broke he is and instead of the 1€ going to him its just being ripped for free.

BUT at the same time, I do believe that like certain games it should be done on a sales basis. Im not sure if its still done as havent heard in a while but when a game reached a certain amount of sales the price dropped and again dropped if it reached more sales.

This should be the case for all entertainment things. Music, movies, and games.

I have seen movies in shops out many years and Im certain it made a fortune but yet is still being sold for 15€. Its a total rip off. Same with games. I saw Fifa 2009 not long ago for 20€......

Yes you can buy things cheaper online sometimes but not everyone has a credit card and not everyone that does likes to use online, so it should be a thing across the board in all shops.

Gishank

Bright Spark
You can't really argue that piracy is the same as stealing, stealing is by definition the act of permenantly depriving the original owner of the item in question - whereas piracy deprives no one, it merely creates a copy. You also can't prove that piracy causes lost sales, as you can't prove that the pirate had any intention of purchasing the item in question OR that they didn't go out and purchase it afterwards. The only way to fight piracy is by making a legitimate method the more preferable option, not by wasting money trying to fight trying to eradicate it.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
The legitimate method is the more preferable option...because its legal. Anything else is just trying to justify theft.

And no, stealing is not by definition permanently depriving the original owner of an item, it is taking something that is not yours without paying or trading something in return...hence internet piracy is stealing. End of.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Piracy isn't the same as stealing, go look up some legal dictionaries DeadEye. Regardless of how you personally define it, it doesn't really hold up your statement about companies losing money due to piracy - whether you think of it as stealing or not, you can't prove that the person who pirated the content had any intention of purchasing it or as I said, didn't go out afterwards and purchase the item in question... Piracy is primarily a service problem as "Gabe Newell" has famously been quoted saying. People pirate for many reasons including but not limited to Regional Restrictions, intrusive and unneeded DRM or to demo a product before contributing money towards it.

Yes there are people who pirate for the sake of pirating, but they're a very small minority.

mishra

Rising Star
I never said that piracy is or isn't stealing, I just think blocking PirateBay is going to do very little in fight with piracy, tbh it's too little to late.

Lots have changed nowadays... piracy is no more the same way as it used to be.
Nowadays, I can go iTunes and buy just one song I like. I am no longer forced to pay for whole album mostly containing rubbish songs. I'm not surprised people pirated stuff in the past.

Good games, movies, software, music, art, etc... will always be paid for in the world. It's only the rubbish people like to pirate...

Dark79

Silver Level Poster
They'll never stop piracy, blocking the pirate bay will stop some noobs from dl stuff but most people with a bit of knowledge will just use other methods to gain access, what is the difference between simon pirating an album and borrowing the cd from a friend? The fact is Simon will be listening to and enjoying something he hasn't paid for either way, take the PB down and a new site will open, they'd be better off putting a subscription of say £50 a month on torrent clients, thats £600 a year from everyone that dl's, £600 they're not currently getting, 10,000 dl'ers would mean £6m they're not currently getting....they can't stop it so allow it to continue but profit from it, would anyone pay £50 a month gets you 30gb dl's ....bloody good idea that if you ask me...

Buzz

Master
Lol. Kinda catchy actually

[video=youtube;Fw-MFeR8Frw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw-MFeR8Frw[/video]

baron75mk2

Banned
I was really exited about mass effect 3 myself , but i HATE ea`s origin game launcher & web browser game launching , so i purchased a copy of mass effect 3 & its still in my drawer unopened , but i did download a cracked copy of it so i could play without having to let EA spyware in to my pc or having to have an internet browser open to launch - also with the legit copy you can also have only 3 installs , is this fair ? , say you mess up the 1st one , theres one install gone , then something happens to to your windows . there is the the second one gone , this leaves you with one install , then you have to buy another copy , needless to say they limit you to only one pc (unless with steam this is the best way of protecting the owner of the material & keeping it fair to the consumer as long as you sighn in to your steam account you can install your games on any pc that you like unlimited installs & usage - this is why if a game comes out for the steam platform i will always buy it ( bought sniper elite v2 today as its steam) , but never for EA ( although i did with mass effect 3 as i have had so much fun with them over the years & i knew i was going to get an originless version as the battlefield 3 situation ticked me off to the max & yes i own battlefield 3 , paid for as well as the offline cracked one ,all the same reasons as before) , ubisoft or any other company that uses DRM as a money spinner with the guize of protecting the owner of the matierial - steam proves both can be done withough shafting the consumer)

( & its just as easy to get cracked steam games as any other , but i chose to pay for them because its fair to the consumer & steam is a good platform)

So when someone does in fact download pirated games , it doesnt necessarily mean they wont buy the games as well - i do , i just dont pay for DRM madness when systems like steam exist where its fair to both the owner of the matierial & the consumer.

Its not always a black & white area at all. :yes:

Last edited:

Agito

Silver Level Poster
Using TPB in general is quite the "I'm new to the internet" thing to do... People who know better, know sites that keep themselves under the radar and do not flung their e-weiners all over copyright owners faces. You can't even get a proper dl speed from TPB its a dead end site. I'm just like Baron75, I own maybe 8 PC games that are still unopened, a lot more that I've opened and I've finished them all. I own several games on Steam as well. I'm all for legit purchase of software as long as its made having the end user in mind. I own a copy of ME3 that is still unopened as well, but I will not even bother using the legit disc as I dont want trash like Origin on my computer. There are games that I actually regret buying before trying them out. Games like the latest Need for Speeds. I think that downloading something for the sake of actually getting to feel the game is totally okay. One might say they release demos to try the games out later and betas to try them before they come out, but I say that is too limited to tell whether you want the game or not. There are very very few games that I've downloaded and didn't buy after. And all of the games I did download and never bought, I never finished either as I didn't like them. When Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl came out I thought it was going to be yet another crappy FPS, I downloaded it, got hooked in literally 10 minutes, ordered the game right away and I'm not a proud owner of all 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R games.

Lately EA has become a massive a-hole regarding their releases. At least Bioware manned up and said "No" to Origin when releasing SWTOR. They say they lose profit, I say their 30 year old business model is losing them profit. Instead of adapting to the age of communications and technology, they go on a witch hunt. Some here say downloading things from, for example, TPB is like stealing. No, in my case it isn't. Some say its the same like walking into a store and just taking the cd/dvd/br you want and walking out. In my case its more along the lines of this. If I'm buying a new car, and it looks shiny from the outside, I still want to get in and have a spin before I decide if its worth it or not.

Now that I'm done with my rant, I think I need to get back to work. Too much time spent on the internet. lols

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I find it extremely annoying when people, think its acceptable to download music and movies online, I believe that it is stealing, its taking a copy without consent, costing the people who make it money. One excuse that is often used is, "yeah they are already loaded and rich" but because someone is wealthy does that mean its socially acceptable to steal physical items? to which the person says "no its not acceptable", however, the person is still happy to download/steal music/movies.

What I am trying to say is, within society is not acceptable to steal physical goods, however, the majority of society find it socially acceptable to download/steal music and movies, because its easy and because the companies are already wealthy anyway. So if we all went with that attitude, what would happen then? what would the result be of major organisations be across the world? Massive profit loss? job loss?

I like steam and I dont mind origin, if it works to prevent people downloading games then i think its good.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I find it extremely annoying when people, think its acceptable to download music and movies online, I believe that it is stealing, its taking a copy without consent, costing the people who make it money. One excuse that is often used is, "yeah they are already loaded and rich" but because someone is wealthy does that mean its socially acceptable to steal physical items? to which the person says "no its not acceptable", however, the person is still happy to download/steal music/movies.

What I am trying to say is, within society is not acceptable to steal physical goods, however, the majority of society find it socially acceptable to download/steal music and movies, because its easy and because the companies are already wealthy anyway. So if we all went with that attitude, what would happen then? what would the result be of major organisations be across the world? Massive profit loss? job loss?

I like steam and I dont mind origin, if it works to prevent people downloading games then i think its good.

Agreed tom. Exactly my thoughts and what I have said repeatedly in these threads. People that steal data/downloads somehow disassociate themselves from the chav nickin the dvd from Woolies. They do this to make themselves feel better and justify their law breaking (just like people that serially park on double yellas!)

/rant off (let take em all out tom! :D )

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I agree with what tom said.

There are laws in place to protect intellectual property (i.e. anything non-physical) so that people have an incentive to develop it in the first place. Less sales means less money to develop the next idea. If there was no protection for intellectual property (i.e. if everyone could copy it free of charge) then few people would bother to develop it. And we wouldn't have any big budget music, films or computer games. All we would be left with is low budget games which people have developed for the pleasure of making it. Which would mean very little choice for all of us.

Personally I very rarely copy stuff these days because I can afford not to and the things I do tend to be really old games that you just can't buy any more (I don't feel bad about copying when there is no way for me to actually pay for it). But I do remember when I was in school with no money that I would copy something in preference of buying it whenever I could. Although I never tried to pretend to myself that I wasn't stealing.

I understand well why games companies go to great lengths to protect their investment. And I'm sure EA don't set up copy protection mechanisms just to annoy their customers. They are a commercial organisation and they do it because they judge that the extra sales it will generate (by preventing copying) will outweigh sales lost due to inconvenience to their customers.

baron75mk2

Banned
Wouldnt want to upset anyone , but i did state that i actaully purchased the two games (& they are still in my drawer) before downloading them - so how am i stealing them exactly ? - i have paid for them , i have two drawers full of legit shop purchased games - mostly steam & games for windows live titles & even though i hate ea , i still bought the two games anyway. & tbh they dont really put any other games out there that i would want to play anyway & the same for ubisoft.

people need to get off thier soapboxes & read the posts a bit more thorughly before branding people as thieves & chavs :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
people need to get off thier soapboxes & read the posts a bit more thorughly before branding people as thieves & chavs :)

I don't know what individual/group of individuals you are referring to here to here Baron, I personally did read your post and was simply stating my own personal opinion on the matter, it was in no way concerning any content within your post.

baron75mk2

Banned
I don't know what individual/group of individuals you are referring to here to here Baron, I personally did read your post and was simply stating my own personal opinion on the matter, it was in no way concerning any content within your post.

Im sorry , this was not aimed at you or anyone else particualarly , just in general terms ( i just saw words like "chav" & thief & maybe jumped the gun a little) - i do apologize if it came across this way, it was not meant to

(its why i did not actually quote anyone in particular , just to keep it in general terms) :)

If it is offensive i will remove the comment - not a problem

Last edited:

Stappa

Enthusiast

I agree Origin is good and especially 'reliable',the same can not be said for Steam? unfortunately my most played game is NTW3 which uses steam.....in all my years of online gaming I have never found a more unreliable game server/platform?????imo damn steam has spoilt many an epic 4v4 NTW3 game