Trackpad problem on NEW Proteus VI?

rictel

Hi,

I have recently made my first purchase from PCS for my new gaming laptop the 15.6" Proteus VI and was very excited to get it setup and downloading all my favourite games.

I originally intended to purchase a laptop a couple of weeks ago but new graphics cards came out so I splashed a little more.

During the initial setup I noticed the left half of the trackpad stopped responding (basically straight down the middle to the left side doesn't work). After putting in all the updates and turning it off and on again the trackpad started working... For about 5 minutes when it stopped responding.

It's going to basically be used with a mouse anyways. But just a little disheartened after spending so much money for it to have a problem straight out of the box.

Overall the laptop itself is beautifully designed and looks very futuristic and sleek, not too heavy to carry around. With the SSD the boot up time is next to nothing with just steam and uplay booting in on startup.

Haven't got round to playing any high end games on it yet to see how it handles but should be okay. I will update with performance, heat and fps once I have the chance to test it a bit more on some games. So far its been updates, installs and downloads.

Specs

Chassis & Display -
Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) -
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)

Memory (RAM) -
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)

Graphics Card -
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

1st Storage Drive -
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Memory Card Reader -
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader

AC Adaptor -
1 x Proteus Series 230W AC Adaptor

Battery -
Proteus V Series Lithium Ion Battery (7180mAh)

Power Cable -
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Thermal Paste -
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Sound Card -
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless -
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0

USB/Thunderbolt Options -
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD

Keyboard Language -
PROTEUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Operating System -
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Operating System Language -
United Kingdom - English Language

Windows Recovery Media -
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Office Software -
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)

AntiVirus -
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode

Browser -
Google Chrome

Carry Case -
Tech Air 15.6" Classic Backpack

Laptop Cooling Stands -
CoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch

Notebook Mouse -
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam -
INTEGRATED 720P 30 FPS HD WEBCAM

Warranty -
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Delivery -
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time -
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would phone PCS as soon as you can. That trackpad issues sounds much more likely to be hardware related than a driver issue.

rictel

I would phone PCS as soon as you can. That trackpad issues sounds much more likely to be hardware related than a driver issue.

Thank you for your response, do you have any idea what they would do?
Or is there a specific team to go through too when I call?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you for your response, do you have any idea what they would do?
Or is there a specific team to go through too when I call?
I would think it will need to go back (an RMA) but PCS will do all they can. Just call the main phone number and have your order number handy - it should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

via Tapatalk

Pullaggro

Could you let me know what the battery life is on your Proteus? I Recently bought the Proteus but also had to return it because of the track pad as the right click button barely worked. But I also was very concerned with the battery as they battery life from full charge was less than an hour! The readings would never say it had charge for more than an hour and I even timed it myself so I was very surprised about this.
Would be nice to know if this was just a defective battery or this is the normal battery life for this model.

de4life

Bronze Level Poster
I get about 2 hours battery life running normal tasks, maybe 3 hours on very light use. Adjusting power settings may increase it a little but the battery life on the Proteus is not great. Right click on the trackpad is hit and miss, I think it's a pretty poor design choice in all honesty. The idea of having a smooth trackpad inclusive of the buttons is nice in theory but doesn't really work in practice. Half the time right clicks register as left clicks which is really annoying. Fortunately I use a wireless mouse anyway so it's not a big problem for me, but could be for others.

OP, I would call PCS, but it's probably going to be an RMA if it's hardware related.

Pullaggro

Thanks that's really good to hear! I would be more than happy if I got at least two hours but I left my Proteus idle with nothing but chrome running with a stream and it lasted less than an hour so I thought that this was definitely not normal and looks like that is the case if yours at least lasts two, if not 3 hours. Mine was on power save mode the entire time too! And yes agreed on the right click on the trackpad, it's why I had to buy a wireless mouse for it.

de4life

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks that's really good to hear! I would be more than happy if I got at least two hours but I left my Proteus idle with nothing but chrome running with a stream and it lasted less than an hour so I thought that this was definitely not normal and looks like that is the case if yours at least lasts two, if not 3 hours. Mine was on power save mode the entire time too! And yes agreed on the right click on the trackpad, it's why I had to buy a wireless mouse for it.

Less than two hours is definitely not right imo. The battery life isn't great but it isn't that bad either. Now granted considering the relatively powerful components in the machine you wouldn't be expecting 5-6 hours, but 2-3 hours is perfectly reasonable to expect. I'd definitely have returned mine if the battery life was only an hour or so.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Less than two hours is definitely not right imo. The battery life isn't great but it isn't that bad either. Now granted considering the relatively powerful components in the machine you wouldn't be expecting 5-6 hours, but 2-3 hours is perfectly reasonable to expect. I'd definitely have returned mine if the battery life was only an hour or so.
I would agree. If you install hwmonitor it has a section on battery degradation, will a reading of how worn it is, should give you an idea if it’s a dud battery, but I’d be fairly convinced it is .

Pullaggro

I would agree. If you install hwmonitor it has a section on battery degradation, will a reading of how worn it is, should give you an idea if it’s a dud battery, but I’d be fairly convinced it is .

I only just noticed that! Would have been a good test on the laptop I had to see if that was the case, but thanks for letting me know and i'll make sure to keep an eye out for this on my next model :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
People, can we not hijack threads please? I appreciate that PULLAGGRO has the same model as the OP and a legitimate question, but it would be better in its own thread. The OP is asking for help in this thread and these posts just get in the way. Thanks. :)

rictel

I contacted PCS via email on the same day I posted the thread. They emailed back saying there was an update for the trackpad and forwarded me the update. Proceeded to install it Saturday night and to no avail it did not work. I will call them tomorrow and see what can be arranged.

Having tested the laptop this morning, it runs smoothly, launched counter strike and played with no problems, the battery, has dropped about 30% - 35%in about an hour with some average Internet browsing, looking at YouTube and 20 minutes on CSGO. The CPU and GPU both sitting around 40-45 degree's Celsius.

I have not bothered installing anything else to test, due to the fact there's a reasonable chance it'll get RMA'd and I'll have to wipe everything off of it.