transferring data pc-pc via ethernet

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
Got my new PC today (which is awesome btw!), but I'm having a bit of trouble transferring my files from my old PC to the new one. All I have to spare is an ethernet cable... Was experimenting on creating a network between my old PC and laptop a few days ago to see if I could transfer data that way and the process seemed fine (watched a youtube video on how to do it since I'm not really an expert in networking and such). But trying it now from my old pc to my new one, after connecting them up via ethernet, I can't even see the other PC showing up on the network at all... All the network discovery and sharing options and everything is on, all the folders on both computers are shared... Is it more complicated doing it from windows 7 to 8.1? Or is there an easier (and cheap!) solution? Lost my external Hard drive unfortunately so that option is unavailable :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If the computers are Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 the easiest way to do this is to setup a Homegroup in Windows. You can do this from the Control Panel > Homegroup icon, you'll need to set it up on both computers and there will be a password generated that you have to enter on the other computer. Once it's setup though you can very easily share any folders between the two computers and copy back and forth as you like.

There is a step-by-step tutorial at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/homegroup-help#homegroup-start-to-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1.

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
Tried doing this but the computers just didn't recognise each other, even connecting them both to my homes wifi, they weren't showing up on the network. Will have to worry about this later since I'm having some other problems now in another thread lol :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Tried doing this but the computers just didn't recognise each other, even connecting them both to my homes wifi, they weren't showing up on the network. Will have to worry about this later since I'm having some other problems now in another thread lol :(

Well when you get back to it set up static IP addresses on the Ethernet LAN ports of each computer. I suggest you make one of them 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.2, you can leave the DNS assignment set at dynamic, for PC-PC you won't be using DNS. (I chose the public IP address range 10.x.x.x so that there is no confusion at all with your Internet connection(s) which are likely to be using the public IP address range 192.168.x.x). The two PCs should then be able to see each other at the TCP/IP level and Homegroup should work.

BTW. If you're using a standard patch cable to connect the two PCs directly it won't work, you need a crossover cable where the transmit and receive wires are crossed. They are readilly available from computer shops. If you're connecting them via a powered hub (which is the best way) two standard patch cables will do.

halox

Enthusiast
A really easy way is to install Dropbox on both PC's. Anything you put in the dropbox folder on one PC will be transferred to the other PC's dropbox folder.

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
Ok thanks for the advice ubuysa, not quite sure what cable I have so will take a look when I get there again! Dropbox would be easy yeah but I'll need to transfer like 500gb+ of data whereas I think you can only store 2-3gb in Dropbox if I recall, haven't used it in a while though so can't be sure

halox

Enthusiast
Ok thanks for the advice ubuysa, not quite sure what cable I have so will take a look when I get there again! Dropbox would be easy yeah but I'll need to transfer like 500gb+ of data whereas I think you can only store 2-3gb in Dropbox if I recall, haven't used it in a while though so can't be sure

Yeah, not good for 500Gb. Easier with an external HDD.