Two monitors on one pc

ArrBee

Hello

Hope someone can help - although after a bit of googling I think what I want is not possible!

I need to attach two monitors to one desktop pc. My pc has a DVI port and the existing monitor is DVI, I want to add a VGA monitor as the second pc and I have no other graphics cards in the pc (its my work one and management won't authorise an upgrade!).

Is it possible to run a DVI monitor & a VGA monitor off a DVI port? Somebody has suggested a vga to usb cable but I can't see how that would work either.

Thanks

VenatoS

Hello

Hope someone can help - although after a bit of googling I think what I want is not possible!

I need to attach two monitors to one desktop pc. My pc has a DVI port and the existing monitor is DVI, I want to add a VGA monitor as the second pc and I have no other graphics cards in the pc (its my work one and management won't authorise an upgrade!).

Is it possible to run a DVI monitor & a VGA monitor off a DVI port? Somebody has suggested a vga to usb cable but I can't see how that would work either.

Thanks

I'm afraid that to my knowledge this isn't a possibility. Could you not get a cheap GPU and stick it into the PC, would be a lot easier than trying to figure out anything else.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Best not to fiddle with a PC owned by someone else e.g. your work :)

I'd certainly recommend getting their permission for anything you might want to do to it.

It's possible that a simple measure like an adapter cable e.g. a USB adapter will work fine and that it'd be inexpensive to purchase yourself, as long as work are fine with that. Or perhaps they'd be happier to buy you an adapter cable than a GPU to install.

No-one can suggest what options might be open without knowing what the PC is exactly in any event!

It's odd it only has a DVI output.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I fully support what Oussebon has said. It's all well and good us all offering advice to someone on what they might try on their own PC but we have to be mindful that the PC in question does not belong to the OP but to his/her company.

I think it's fine to suggest external options the OP might try but with the proviso that we recommend that they check with their company before implementing anything suggested on here.