Two questions about my system - 3d Vision in 1080p GTX 570 / i5 2500k and COOLING!

My Build:

CPU: Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard: SUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory: 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

GPU: 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

ASUS VG236HE 23" 120Hz 3D LCD, HDMI/DVI-D HD, 1920x1080

SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER

: CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE

Question 1)

I wanted to play games in 3d 1080p (not on ultra but med/high or high with some options turned down) at a consistent rate of 30fps+
I know 3d requires double the usual standard so i figured 30fps at 1080p med wouldnt be that bad, as a later planned update to SLI 570 should give me 60fps at 3d high.

But im talking 30fps with a single gtx at 1080p 3d med/high on:

Crysis 2, Skyrim, Fifa 12, Starwars The Old republic, Batman Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Battlefield 3 (!), MW3(!), Dirt 3, LA Noire, Cryis, Dragon age 2 etc etc

If a possible current user can fill me in, would be helpful, i really dont want stuttering 3d or its just a waste of money :(

Question 2)

If i overclock my GPU and CPU, will my cooler handle it?

SUPER QUIET 22dBA COOLER
Superior in its performance, this cooler possesses a copper base, aluminum fins, and three heatpipes which accelerate heat conductivity and effectively transmit heat to the fins. A 9 cm super quiet fan will halp draw heat away from your PC. Besides, tool-free clip design enables an easy installation. Best of all, It provides a comprehensive thermal solution for Intel and AMD systems.

Thanks!

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
No, if you want to overclock, I would suggest upgrading to the Titan ir higher. For the vision, I can't tell you but I think it should work. Not sure though so I'd suggest you wait for a 3rd opinion.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
3D doesnt use twice as much as 2D, infact im not even sure if it requires much more power, so most of these games esp. Skyrim, Fifa 11, MW3 etc will quite happily play max settings 3D 1080p

1_big.jpg

It says Titan over it?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah its made by the same company, "titan" the cooler musicguy is suggesting for overclocking is called the titan fenrir evo from pcs.

Are you planning on overclocking?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you could overclock, but personally i wouldn't with that cooler, also overclocking offers very little to gaming as games depend on the gpu rather the the cpu

whats ya budget mate? ill post a spec up for ya :)

I've changed it to the cooler the previous poster suggested

Titan fenrir Evo extreme

Gtx 570 oc
I5 2500k oc

Would this be sufficient?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I wouldn't overclock the 570, if it dies because you fry it or whatever because of the overclock, then the warranty is not covered.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh there isnt really much need to OC it either, only when it is struggling to play medium settings on every game would i consider OCing a graphics card, even then you could buy a new one twice as good for £50

I want to play 3d vision games in 1080p at atleast 30fps.

BF3, Batman etc

I have a 23inch monitor.

I figured slightly overclocking the gpu and overlcocking the CPU should do some good (even if a little)

Can anyone guide me on how to go about doing those things?

What would the recommended ghz be?

ive already built the system but its at the stage where i can stil amend it.

More input would certainly help, you guys are great at this!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
In agree with wozza, dont overclock at all, esp if you dont know how to do it.

seriously it mate, it will do more harm than good.

Hmmm you guys are convincing me to NOT oc it.

Lets say i dont, and get a GTX 570 SLI set up in a few months.

Is 850w enough? is there anything wasteful in my build that i dont need?

is COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE enough to maintain my specs?

Any additional info will help, i trust your word!

Also, would overclocking the GPU and CPU make much difference in gaming to the point of more than 10fps?

I just want to oc so i can get a better 3d experience (even if by a few frames)

but if its dangerous, ill stay away

CURRENT UPDATED BUILD:

Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
HD: 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound Blaster® Audigy™ SE

Last edited:

dangro474

Bright Spark
Not sure if this is a double post from a previous thread, but:

- 850W is more than enough to support your current build, and should support a second 570 GTX should you decide to SLI in the future.

- A 570 GTX will easily give oyu 30+ FPS in all of the latest releases (excluding Ubersampling in The Witcher 2) in 1080p with maximum details, however i cannot confirm myself that the added stress of 3d will cause performance drops. If you are that concerned i can confirm that a 580 GTX will easily provide enough performance for your needs. My personal opinion on 3D is that its unnecessary nonsense that only makes gaming more difficult and f*cks up your eyes. I would recommend against enabling it.

- Apparently the 1TB and 2TB versions of the 7.2k RPM 64MB cache HDDs are the same price, so it would be worth upgrading.

- Although popular concensus is that 1600 MHZ ram provides no real visible performance difference over 1333 mhz, the 1600 mhz RAM is only £3 more expensive and may help buffer the performance loss while 3D is enabled, making it a worthwhile investment.

AndyL

Although popular concensus is that 1600 MHZ ram provides no real visible performance difference over 1333 mhz, the 1600 mhz RAM is only £3 more expensive and may help buffer the performance loss while 3D is enabled, making it a worthwhile investment.

If Dans pricing is correct then I would definitely go for the 1600MHz RAM. I also agree with your points on 3D gaming and even 3D TV for that matter.