Two years old - would you make any changes?

staree

Hello all!

This is my build from PC Spec just under two years ago. Would you make any changes, amendments to future proof out any more? I mostly use this for video/photo editing - Adobe suites etc. Here is the updated version below - full specs. Would you do anything more with the cooling side of things?

Case FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® PRIME X370-PRO (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card ReaderUSB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power SupplyCORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteCOOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
LED Lighting2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

What do you reckon?
Stace

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The obvious upgrade would be the GPU, but I wouldn't buy one now, I'd wait for the nVidia RTX3000 series which are set to be released within a couple of months and you'll get a lot more power for the money.

But to accomodate a better card, you'd need a better PSU. I'd recommend a 750W RMx series from Corsair, they're superb and it should be able to take any card you like going forwards:

or the RMi series gives you software monitoring but exactly the same PSU:

And I personally would definitely swap out that CPU cooler, I wouldn't be happy with a 120mm rad on that CPU at all. I would go for a minimum of an H100i and that you could carry over to the next upgrade also, they're excellent coolers:

The case you've got is superb though, it's pretty much the best budget case money can buy.

You've also got a very slow M2 drive, I would get a samsung 970 Evo Plus to plug into that.

staree

Wowsers, some really meaty stuff to have a think about there. I know initially, I had looked to ramp up the CPU cooler but had to make some changes to fit the case. I'll be sure to check everything out, the Evo sounds a very good move.
Funnily enough though, I was looking at the very similar Corsair H100I around the time of posting. Very much appreciate the time you have taken to look through my rig and I will absolutely take your advice where the GPU is concerned so I'll hold fire for that and start a swapsie of some of the above. Brill.