Ubuntu 11.10

pr1s0ner

Anyone else upgraded yet?
Any noticeable changes?
I'm still in the process of putting everything back the way i want, so too soon to say for sure, so far struggling to see what's changed

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
hopefully they got rid of the password bug, ive tried getting rid of it 100s of times in multiple ways and never works...

pr1s0ner

Password bug?
Only dodgy password thing Ive ever found in Ubuntu is the lack of a proper root account

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
nah i wanted to try and get rid of my password to save me typing it every 5 mins and i tried everything but nothing worked

pr1s0ner

Is that just the screensaver password, or are you trying to get round using the sudo password?
It is possible to disable passwords prompts (just not a very good idea) : )

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
screensaver password is the one im having problems with, i have already disabled it apparently yet it still turns up, i managed to get rid of the sudo password

pr1s0ner

I haven't tried on the newer versions of Ubuntu but...
into a command prompt and enter

sudo visudo

then add

user ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

to the end of the list (user = your username, ctrl+x to exit)

That used to get rid of all of them

pr1s0ner

The password prompts have never really bothered me, but Ive just had a quick tinker and all the prompts are gone.

I edited visudo added my username to the list (as it wasnt already there) and changed the end of my username and the root entry to
ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

Then added the root password to the keychain the next time I was prompted and now all gone : )

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
I think 11.10 is fantastic! Proper root account is easy. Just do sudo passwd root and give your user password at the prompt, then it asks you twice for your new root password. After that, you can enter the root account and really trash your installation if you want!!! I've stayed with giving a password on boot, but taken the annoying lock screen off. You do that in the screensaver settings. It seems to work for me.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
might upgrade tonight, is there an easy eay of doing it through ubuntu, rather than downloading and putting on a stick

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Ubuntu offers to do a version upgrade in upgrade manager unless this is set only to upgrade when an LTS version appears. Personally I think it's worth the trouble of doing a clean install though. If you do a version upgrade, be prepared for things to go wrong.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Yes - I agree with you on that one. But it isn't a thing you use all the time, so the workaround is OK. I right-click on the icon in /usr/share/applications and do 'copy to -> desktop'. It's almost as quick. Then I can edit the launcher. For example, I put a launcher for Nautilus on the desktop, and then edit the command to read 'gksudo nautilus' to give me a root file browser.

pr1s0ner

I've been using the old gnome-panel gui (I use a few cmd line shortcuts), found it online somewhere, but can't remember where!
Install with

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel

to not include the dependencies and then

gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new

to make a new launcher

barfis

I'm sticking to the 11.04 due to the ability of having a "classic ubuntu" (gnome).
11.10 users are now forced to use unity or can install gnome manually but it doesn't integrate with the system nicely any more.

I'm seriously considering moving back to debian or trying Kubuntu first, although I never really liked kde.

To me it's a shame that the system that was able to work flawlessly in business has now go wild.
It's a real pain to teach staff to use unity. System better connected to social networks is not what everyone is looking for.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Have you thought about Edubuntu? The basic installation without all the educational software has all the usual stuff, but you can install with the Gnome desktop if you want. It takes slightly more space than Ubuntu - around 5.5 GiB, but that's not a lot.