UEFI Boot in Optimus iV (Clevo W350ETQ)

michalis

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to boot Optimus IV into Windows 7 x 64 in or Other (linux) operating systems in UEFI mode?

It works fine with windows 8 as the bios has a Windows 8 UEFI option to enable.

the version of bios i have got is 1.02.17 and the firmware is 1.02.08

87794d1353889149-official-clevo-w350etq-sager-np6350-owners-lounge-bios.-w35_37.jpg

87797d1353889157-official-clevo-w350etq-sager-np6350-owners-lounge-uefi-boot.jpg

Jedimaca

Bronze Level Poster
Damn Microsoft! Is there anyway to disable the uefi on the optimus iv?
If not then your gonna have to install windows 8, Microsoft are implementing this into all new windows pc's is to stop un authorised os being installed onto your computer, they say it's to make your computer more secure as root kits can't hide in the pre boot place.
I wanted to stick with windows 7 for a while and put Linux on as my main os as its a lot more secure than any Microsoft os has ever been. I heard that any Linux distro has to buy a license off Microsoft to be able to pass the uefi and fedora where supposed to be one of the first Linux distros to implement it but I'm unsure if this has gone ahead yet.
Microsoft really know how to @&£ me off, I want to be given the choice of what os I put on my new computer not forced into putting there latest os that has a lot of incompatibility issues at the moment. It makes me want to boycott windows 8 altogether I don't like to be dictated to as to what os I have to run on MY computer.
Where there is a will there is a way I can't wait to get my Optimus iv now as I'm stil waiting to receive it. Please let me know if you get anywhere with putting windows 7 or any Linux distro on your Optimus iv.

Jedimaca

Bronze Level Poster
Cool thanks for the info, itching to get my laptop now so I can try and get windows 7 and Linux on mine. 8th day of pre production :(

michalis

Hi again,

It seems that it is booting Linux in UEFI mode O.K! Good news.. The problem is only with Windows 7. The modifications suggested in the link i gave you further up dont seem to work for me.

I will try a few more things and i will keep you posted.

xmteam

Did your computer come installed with Windows 8 and UEFI, or did you do it yourself, as I'm having trouble trying to install Windows 8 using UEFI on my computer (same as yours) despite having a BIOS installation that worked perfectly.

michalis

Did your computer come installed with Windows 8 and UEFI, or did you do it yourself, as I'm having trouble trying to install Windows 8 using UEFI on my computer (same as yours) despite having a BIOS installation that worked perfectly.

It came with Windows 7.

You need Windows 8 64 bit and you need to go to Bios , enable Windows 8 mode and then on the sub menu enable uefi mode.

Then save reboot and that should pick it up.

xmteam

I've done all that, but sadly the Vista, 7 and 8 discs I have tried UEFI booting have all hung at different parts of the setup, so it must be something wrong with my hardware as I have also tried ISOs off the internet and those have failed as well.

michalis

I've done all that, but sadly the Vista, 7 and 8 discs I have tried UEFI booting have all hung at different parts of the setup, so it must be something wrong with my hardware as I have also tried ISOs off the internet and those have failed as well.

Have you tried to boot with Ubuntu 12.04?

What Bios version have you got?