Uefi Ubuntu install onto second drive with windows preinstalled

lanpai

Hi,
I have a 15.6" defiance iii
Windows 10 pre-installed on first m2. Second m2 is blank.
I've been running Ubuntu in a virtual box VM as my primary development environment, and it's ok - some issues on suspend lead vbox to crash.
I'd like to run Linux dual boot on my second drive.
So far I haven't even been able to boot from live install without switching off uefi, which then makes windows unbootable.
I've tried both usb type c, and regular usb
Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.??
With uefi on, I get a black screen and it sits there. It *does* go as far as letting me choose live or install.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could point me at something relevant and recent about allowing windows and Linux to cohabit, the only things I've found so far are from 2012 or earlier and talk about returning to mbr.
Or about having to install Linux first to get grub on.
Any guidance appreciated, I think the last time I was dual booting uefi wasn't a thing and Shakira has just had a breakthrough single.

AnubisKey

Hi there,

I'm going to try my best explaining this as I'm still very new to linux as a whole. I did a bit a quick rundown in Google to see if I can fish up some stuff regarding UEFI as I did have linux but as a full operating system so this was somewhat new to me. Anyway, I found this on the Ubuntu forums and it sounds exactly the same problem as you are having (it's also recent being asked in '16). Might be worth a look into it and see if it helps you out.

lanpai

Hi there,

I'm going to try my best explaining this as I'm still very new to linux as a whole. I did a bit a quick rundown in Google to see if I can fish up some stuff regarding UEFI as I did have linux but as a full operating system so this was somewhat new to me. Anyway, I found this on the Ubuntu forums and it sounds exactly the same problem as you are having (it's also recent being asked in '16). Might be worth a look into it and see if it helps you out.

Thanks, I'll take a look. On my mobile the link doesn't show up as a link so I thought you'd forgotten it until I clicked reply!