Ultima x01 monitor

Kal-El dA

Hello. I know that there's quite a lot of thread about monitor for ultima x01 but i need more opinion about it.

So I've bought the ultima x01 but havent got it yet, but now Im thinking about the monitor. Basically my budget is around £250.

I'm planning to buy LG29UM68. It cost around 260. It's an ultrawide 29 inch, 21:9, 1080p, 5ms, around 60 hz. Honestly, it doesnt really maximise the ability of ultima x01 but i really want to experience an ultrawide monitor. It looks amazing for both gaming and multitasking. It also have IPS panel which i heard have a lot of benefits compared to TN.

However, i found out that for £250, i could buy 24 inch 16:9 monitors which is able to utilize the ultima and gtx 1080. There's aoc monitors with 144 hz 1080p as well as 60hz 1440p.

So now i wanna know whether i should go for the lg ultrawide. Is it worth it to buy it?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ultimately, go with what you want. The GTX 1080 is arguably overkill for 1080p ultrawide 60/75hz, but at least it will have headroom and since the Ultima has a ~£200 discount it's not like you paid full price for all that hardware and then 'underused' it. :)

I'd probably go for 1440p 60hz IPS with that budget with something like the AOC Q2577PWQ, with the idea of upgrading to an expensive, elaborate 4k monitor plus a more powerful future gen GPU in due course, keeping the 1440p 60hz monitor as a 2nd monitor. But that's entirely my personal plan and taste. You can always give some thought to how what you buy now will fit in with any future upgrade plans.

Make sure to check your favourite games play nice with 21:9 before buying the ultrawide.

Kal-El dA

Okay. I have to accept the fact that I cant fullfill everything with the budget i have. Probably I'll still be going for lg ultrawide.

I just want to know about the difference between 24 inch 1080p 60 Hz and 24 inch 1440 144 hz. Is the difference that obvious or not. how much does 24 inxh 144hz 1440p monitor would cost and do you have any reccommendation?

Also whats the price for ultrawide 29inch 144hz 1440p?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Also whats the price for ultrawide 29inch 144hz 1440p?
£600+ I think

I just want to know about the difference between 24 inch 1080p 60 Hz and 24 inch 1440 144 hz. Is the difference that obvious or not.
1080p vs 1440p - It would have almost double the pixel density. It would be a bit like comparing a 720p monitor to a 1080p one (1280x720 vs 1920x1080).

As for 144hz vs 60hz, it's a bit subjective. Some people say they don't really notice the difference, some say that even using the desktop feels so much smoother on 144hz.

how much does 24 inxh 144hz 1440p monitor would cost and do you have any reccommendation?
1440p monitors usually are 27". If getting a 1440p 144hz monitor I'd also suggest getting one with gsync, and those are about £500+.

Going to 1440p 144hz or 1440p ultrawide would involve doubling your budget for the monitor.

Also a GTX 1080 might be towards the upper end of its capabilities at 1440p ultrawide anyway - not much headroom for future titles on very high settings.

Kal-El dA

Another thing, I just found out that the ultrawide monitor that i wanted uses amd freesync. Will that work with the ultima since it uses nvidia gpu?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The monitor will work fine.

You won't get the freesync functionality with an Nvidia GPU, but a 1080 will generally be pushing the refresh rate cap in most titles even at very high settings anyway on 2560x1080.

Kal-El dA

I read somewhere and it says one reason that causes tearing is because the gpu is sending too much frame for the monitor to render. It worries me since the gtx1080 does overpowered the 1080p at 60hz. Will the monitor does fine?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Enable vsync and it caps the framerate to the monitor's refresh rate, eliminating tearing.

There are downsides to Vsync such as input lag and possible frametime issues in some titles. But a lot of people won't really notice the difference. I use vsync in most titles I play.

You can also cap FPS to 60 within many games even without vsync, or through using 3rd party software.

More FPS than 60 isn't really a bad thing. Lower than 60 fps is more of a pain since you can get tearing, and also the gameplay will seem more stuttery since frames have to be re-used.

Last edited: