Ultranote 2 14 inch CPU fan failed to spin

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
I was working away for about 15 mins on my laptop until I started using it for a little bit of graphics design. The laptop was happy then all of a sudden I heard a loud beeping sound and the computer shut down.

After quick investigation, it appeared that the CPU fan had failed to kick in. So I powered the laptop up again and then same thing happened.

I managed to get a can of compressed air, and then put this in the vent on the side of the laptop and gave it a quick blast.

Once I did this and powered it back on again the CPU fan started to kick in again.

Anyone have any experience with the same thing at all ?

I am at a stage now where I may need to take the bottom off and check to see if there is anything which is restricting the fan but I will wait to see how it behaves over the next week or 2.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
HEllo WortonTech,

I would open the bottom up and just have a wee look if its easy enough to get into, just check for anything sticking. Did it spin when you blasted the air in?
Also just make sure if its connected to the board. If it still doesn't work after that i would call PCS, they may just send you out a new fan instead of sending the whole machine back but best to speak to them. Depends what your comfortable doing

Mike

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
Well it is working at the moment but if it happens again I will let them know.

I used to fix laptops a long time ago for IBM by taking bits apart and rebuilt a few in my time so I am fine with this. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any issues.

When i blew the air in the fan did start to spin again and after that it worked. Weird thing was that it was working the day before on the desk. Got removed and put into my laptop case/bag and then the next day got it out and put it in the same place and then thats where the problem happened.

Maybe it might be a bad batch of fan but I will keep my eye on it.