Ultranote II: Finally working!

Joey

Upon request, this is my experience with PCS and their Ultranote series laptop.

Management summary: When all of the pieces of the puzzle fall in place, it's a brilliant piece of hardware!

These are the waypoints I had to go through to get there:

It took well over a month for the laptop to complete build. It was forever in preprod because I wanted the @ to be above the 2. This is a US keaybard and it was delayed: keys.jpg. I was promised 2 times that it would arrive 'next week'. I think they just didn't know when it would arrive and was lucky it arrived when it did. There was proacive communication abou the delay once after a week or so, but not after that.

When pacing the order I indicated that I was going to insert my own sdd and requested the order to be delivered without HDD - which they honoured, great service from Jack Turner. Thanks again :) With the released funds i upgraded my memory to 8G. However, on arrival it appeard that the Haswell cpu was never planning to talk to my Sandforce controlled SSD.dead.jpg I called PCS and they were somewhat defesive of their hardware, stating that if the laptop works with another drive the laptop is not at fault. I mailed later, arguing that if the SDD works in another laptop, which it did and still does, it is not the SDD at fault. They never bothered to reply. From the forums I found out why the SDD didn't work - thanks SpyderTracks for pointing it out. I can't blame PCS for my SSD not working but I would have liked them not leaving me in the dark about it.

Anyway, I dug a bit deeper into my wallet and got a Samsug EVO, which works like a charm :) I installed Linux Mint on it - which takes about 5 minutes. Installed win7 in a virtualbox which is a breeze also, and works snappy. In all, once completed, it is a good value for money system :)
gimp.jpg

Joe

ps i'm stil getting used to the type of keyboarf intalled on these machins.. ;p