Ultranote II - USB 3.0 problems

SpannerPoint2

I recently bought the above laptop, running Windows 7 on an i5-4200M.

I have some real problems with the USB ports, and hopefully someone can point me towards some fixes as I've been searching high and low to no avail.

1. Cannot use WD My Passport in USB 3.0 ports:
the drive works fine on other PCs through USB 3.0, and also through the 2.0 ports on my laptop, but will not work on 3.0. Looking in Device Manager, there's an error for a driver for the USB controller which I cannot resolve - tried updating all chipset drivers etc, also looked for relevant drivers for the USB controller online, but no luck. The 3.0 ports work with my other external HDD - that one is only 2.0-compatible and has a separate power supply, so I don't know if that's the issue? Further, the 3.0 ports don't recognise my wireless mouse - not that I'd want to use the 3.0s for a mouse of course, just to demonstrate that it doesn't seem to be a problem with the external drive itself.

2. BSOD errors if USB devices are connected during either the shutdown or startup process:
to expand, if say I leave the dongle for my wireless mouse connected before shutting down, the laptop shuts down fine. However, when I then reboot it (with or without the USB device still connected) no USB ports recognise any devices at all. Then, when I next shut down, the process hangs at the 'Shutting Down' screen for 10-15 minutes before displaying a BSOD with an error message 'Driver Power State Error'. The laptop will then usually start up correctly and function fine. This problem also occurs if a device is connected before startup, even if there was no device connected at shutdown.

If anyone can shed any light on these it'd be amazing - at the moment these issues are causing real problems in using the machine for day-to-day work so I'm eager to get them resolved ASAP.

If you need any further information please let me know

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
My brother had a similar issue with this laptop running windows 8 with the usb3 ports just not working for some reason. The fix was to go into device manager and uninstall the driver for the usb3 controller that had the error on it. You just click uninstall, let it do it thing, restart windows and it should re install the driver automatically. Worth a shot for sure.

as for the BSOD errors have a look at this link. I haven't read it all because i'm shattered and need to go to bed, but worth a read because it seems to talk about stuff related to your issue. Could be you have updated the slightly wrong driver somewhere or something. No idea, I cant even read anymore.... hope it helps if not il have another look tomorrow :)

SpannerPoint2

My brother had a similar issue with this laptop running windows 8 with the usb3 ports just not working for some reason. The fix was to go into device manager and uninstall the driver for the usb3 controller that had the error on it. You just click uninstall, let it do it thing, restart windows and it should re install the driver automatically. Worth a shot for sure.

as for the BSOD errors have a look at this link. I haven't read it all because i'm shattered and need to go to bed, but worth a read because it seems to talk about stuff related to your issue. Could be you have updated the slightly wrong driver somewhere or something. No idea, I cant even read anymore.... hope it helps if not il have another look tomorrow :)

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried uninstalling the driver in Device Manager - no luck though, it simply fails to install a driver at all and returns to showing an error in Device Manager.

You also mentioned a link regarding the BSOD, but I can't see it - any chance you still have it to hand?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I did say I was tired :) Here it is. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1653253/fix-driver-power-state-failure-windows.html Still not had a proper look at it, got a bit of work to do my end before I can look into it more.

Re the usb3 issue, have you had a look in your account for the drivers? Log into the PCS website, go to the 'tech support' box on the left hand side and at the bottom is downloads. All the drivers for your system should be in that section. if they still don't work I think you would have to get in touch with PCS

SpannerPoint2

I did say I was tired :) Here it is. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1653253/fix-driver-power-state-failure-windows.html Still not had a proper look at it, got a bit of work to do my end before I can look into it more.

Re the usb3 issue, have you had a look in your account for the drivers? Log into the PCS website, go to the 'tech support' box on the left hand side and at the bottom is downloads. All the drivers for your system should be in that section. if they still don't work I think you would have to get in touch with PCS

Ha no worries :) thanks for providing.

I've followed your advice to contact PCS, who've emailed me the missing drivers - seems to resolve both issues.

Thanks for your time mate!