Unable to restart after a windows update

timmo08

Hi, I've noticed a problem after a few recent windows updates which has got now to the point where the laptop simply won't restart. It tries to restart, PCS logo appears, then goes to blank screen and nothing happens. After a few minutes the fan starts up and gets increasingly loud. Then after may 5 mins there is a short burst of static and the laptop switches off. Previously a second or third restart fixed this but after 6 attempts I guess that way won't work now.
Any thoughts please ?
Thanks
Tim

timmo08

Sorry, posted on wrong forum, can't see how to move it tho ? Maybe a moderator can do so or shall I re post.

timmo08

Hi, thanks for the replies. At about the 7th attempt finally restarted but the problem seems to be getting worse and I notice there is feature update for Win10 lurking... Unfortunately don't have easy access to any other machine. Last time I did a Windows install was from a floppy disk !
Spec is as below.
Chassis & DisplayUltraNote: 14" Matte HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Pentium® Quad Core Processor N4200 (4 x 1.10GHz, 2.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics CardIntegrated Intel® HD Graphics
1st Storage Drive480GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 500MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 40W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryUltraNote IV Series 44WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound CardRealtek 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-3165 M.2 (433Mbps, 802.11AC) + BT
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language14" ULTRANOTE III SERIES UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

timmo08

Thanks, No idea if I have the original disk, will have a look at the instructions to reset/reinstall - I have all my data backed up but would rather not have to redo everything. Is the reset likely to help ?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks, No idea if I have the original disk, will have a look at the instructions to reset/reinstall - I have all my data backed up but would rather not have to redo everything. Is the reset likely to help ?
With problems like this you really need to start from a totally clean install to determine if it is a software or hardware problem

timmo08

Thanks for the replies. Given the fan activity (and I've noticed the fan kicking in quite a lot during normal use), would it more likely be a hardware problem ? Just wondering if that is the first thing to check before reinstalling everything..

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the replies. Given the fan activity (and I've noticed the fan kicking in quite a lot during normal use), would it more likely be a hardware problem ? Just wondering if that is the first thing to check before reinstalling everything..
you can't really check for a hardware problem if you aren't sure about the software

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What are your temperatures like? It sounds like overheating to me.

When did you last clean the dust and muck from the insides?

timmo08

What are your temperatures like? It sounds like overheating to me.

When did you last clean the dust and muck from the insides?
Thanks, I was starting to wonder about that. The temp does vary although seems to be have been OK recently (since I got a well vented stand for it), but it's never been cleaned inside (although that would go for most laptops I've had (through work, rather than this one which is personal) without it causing a problem. Doesn't look dirty or clogged and is pretty well looked after but hard to tell without opening it up. I guess a clean wouldn't hurt to start with - do those pc blower/vacs do a good job ?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, I was starting to wonder about that. The temp does vary although seems to be have been OK recently (since I got a well vented stand for it), but it's never been cleaned inside (although that would go for most laptops I've had (through work, rather than this one which is personal) without it causing a problem. Doesn't look dirty or clogged and is pretty well looked after but hard to tell without opening it up. I guess a clean wouldn't hurt to start with - do those pc blower/vacs do a good job ?
Some people on here swear by power vacs, I'm sure @SpyderTracks will be along to recommend the on he uses. Personally I've always found a soft brush and a can of low pressure compressed air (made for cleaning computers) to be fine.

The area to pay the most attention to is the finned heat exchanger right next to the output of the fan, this is where ALL the cooling is done. You need a good airflow through there to remove the waste heat but these things easily fill up with muck and fluff blown in there by the fan. Once that heat exchanger gets blocked up cooling performance degrades rapidly.

Also clean the fan blades - if they're bad remove the fan so you can clean both sides. The leading edges are the worst affected and that's also where most of the aerodynamic work in moving air is done, so you need these blades (especially the leading edges) to be spotless.

Cleaning the dust from everywhere else inside won't help keep it cool but it will remove dust and muck that can later be sucked into the heat exhcanger by the fan. It's my opinion that any laptop in a home environment needs cleaning at least every 12 months, some need cleaning more often.