Undervolting CPU

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all, I was wondering whether it’s better to undervolt a laptop CPU via the Control Centre application that comes preinstalled on PCS laptops or whether better to use a third party application like Throttlestop…or no difference? Does using one show up in the other app or completely independent of each other? Many thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, I was wondering whether it’s better to undervolt a laptop CPU via the Control Centre application that comes preinstalled on PCS laptops or whether better to use a third party application like Throttlestop…or no difference? Does using one show up in the other app or completely independent of each other? Many thanks
An undervolt is applied at the BIOS level, the software just routes through to the BIOS controls.

I would personally use throttlestop because it gives much better control

But that's IF the CPU supports undervolting, a lot don't now days on laptops.

If an undervolt isn't supported then you'd need to adjust the PL (Power Limit) values in Control Center.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just additionally, an undervolt should never be applied to correct temps, if the laptop is overheating, and undervolt isn't the answer, you need to get temps under control first before further optimising temps with an undervolt.

Otherwise you're just disguising the issue, and the overheat will eventually catch up and fry the board / CPU

If you haven't serviced it already, you need to be doing so about once a year which includes repasting and removing fans and clearing all dust.

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Interesting, thanks @SpyderTracks . CPU does support undervolting (Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.4GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo) and has run hot out of the box. Understandable given it’s a thin laptop with a fast CPU and GPU (3080) but on your advice, will check how good the pasting is first, clean the fans etc and then if no improvement at all, will try the undevolt route. Thanks again

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Interesting, thanks @SpyderTracks . CPU does support undervolting (Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.4GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo) and has run hot out of the box. Understandable given it’s a thin laptop with a fast CPU and GPU (3080) but on your advice, will check how good the pasting is first, clean the fans etc and then if no improvement at all, will try the undevolt route. Thanks again
Yeah, you're right that chip should be easy to undervolt.

Service is a good idea as a first stage, then you know you're at a clean state to apply a healthy undervolt and just reduce even further.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just additionally, the other tool option you have of course is Intel XTU which a lot of people find more easy to navigate.

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Just additionally, the other tool option you have of course is Intel XTU which a lot of people find more easy to navigate.
Funnily enough I was just looking at a guide for this. Looks a little more user friendly than Throttlestop but will check the basics first as you say before trying to tweak anything via software. Thanks for your help - much appreciated