Unexpected low FPS

thebailers

Without as I have my own copy but it was installed - just unlicenced. I added my licence and as it was a pro version of Windows 10 was prompted to upgrade.

I ordered without a graphics card as had pre-ordered the 3080 and installed that myself.
I am v new to all this though so I am hoping I installed correctly. Not sure how wrong you can go with a GPU install though?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah man - so this will limit all cpu power etc? Ok is there a guide anywhere with regard to how to install from scratch?
Thanks so much for your help on this
It’s not setup, so nothing will work properly.

why did you order without windows if you don’t know how to install windows?

thebailers

It’s not setup, so nothing will work properly.

why did you order without windows if you don’t know how to install windows?
Because I already had paid for a licence of Win 10 Pro which I installed on a Mac via boot camp. I wanted to move away from Apple so bought the PC to both game and work on Ubuntu via WSL2.
I just didn’t want to have to pay for the OS twice.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Because I already had paid for a licence of Win 10 Pro which I installed on a Mac via boot camp. I wanted to move away from Apple so bought the PC to both game and work on Ubuntu via WSL2.
I just didn’t want to have to pay for the OS twice.
Ok, it’s going to be an extremely steep learning curve for you.

you can create a bootable installation from here:

Then you need to follow option one from here:

The very first stage you need to delete all existing partitions on the OS drive and install to the remaining space.

thebailers

Ok, it’s going to be an extremely steep learning curve for you.

you can create a bootable installation from here:

Then you need to follow option one from here:

The very first stage you need to delete all existing partitions on the OS drive and install to the remaining space.
Ok, probably. Good idea to start learning any way. Can I just ask before I go over all this, as I have all my work setup done, the upgrade/install to Windows 10 Pro definitely wouldn’t have switched it out of a test version?

is there a way to definitively tell it is a test version of the OS?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, probably. Good idea to start learning any way. Can I just ask before I go over all this, as I have all my work setup done, the upgrade/install to Windows 10 Pro definitely wouldn’t have switched it out of a test version?

is there a way to definitively tell it is a test version of the OS?
You can't switch it out of a test version, just means it's not configured. You can't amend it because you don't know what's been configured and what hasn't. The only option is to clean install.

It is a test OS, that's all PCS use when testing a machine. The only time they fully configure it is when you buy windows.

There are no shortcuts with windows, you have to methodically set stuff up correctly.

There's a lot more to just installing windows, that's the first part, then you have to configure all the drivers correctly and get it stable before you're ready to install anything.

If you take any shortcuts, it won't be properly configured and you'll have problems going forward with BSODS, general instability and poor performance. You do it right at the get go, and you won't have any problems going forward.

It's nothing like MacOS. Nothing at all, completely different experience. You have to know how to manage windows, drivers and applications. MacOS configures itself on installation. Windows doesn't.

thebailers

You can't switch it out of a test version, just means it's not configured. You can't amend it because you don't know what's been configured and what hasn't. The only option is to clean install.

It is a test OS, that's all PCS use when testing a machine. The only time they fully configure it is when you buy windows.

There are no shortcuts with windows, you have to methodically set stuff up correctly.

There's a lot more to just installing windows, that's the first part, then you have to configure all the drivers correctly and get it stable before you're ready to install anything.

If you take any shortcuts, it won't be properly configured and you'll have problems going forward with BSODS, general instability and poor performance. You do it right at the get go, and you won't have any problems going forward.

It's nothing like MacOS. Nothing at all, completely different experience. You have to know how to manage windows, drivers and applications. MacOS configures itself on installation. Windows doesn't.
🥴
Why didn’t I just pay for the OS again, lol. Damn

Last edited by a moderator: