Upcoming big Anniversary reissue titles of 2023

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, it's this year now, we are officially in 2023.

This is an important year musically for quite a number of 50th Anniversary copies (Hopefully)

Any of you that collect vinyl will know that original copies of some of the greats are a: hard to find in good condition and b: very often extremely expensive. I'm learning more and more that with analogue masters (talking any releases pre 1985 or so) it tends to be the early pressings that are the best sounding, usually because the original master tape was in better condition (as they degrade over time even if not used).

My favorite old timer Rock groups would be the usual Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, The Beatles, The Who (who I've only discovered fairly recently really), David Bowie.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the following:

1/. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

One of my favourite records of all time. The vinyl copy to get is the blue triangle 1973 first pressing A2 B2 matrix, would set you back around £1000 for a good copy.

The second runner up is probably the 2003 30th Anniversary which was mastered and cut by Doug Sax at Acoustech who was co owned by Chad Kassem who owns Analogue Productions. My guess is he wants to improve on this already stellar copy. This one would set you back around £150 for a good copy.

Rumours are (just rumours at this stage) that Analogue Productions may have this lined up for one of their premium UHQR records which is a virgin vinyl composition which arguably is the best in the business for zero background noise, and insanely good dynamics. Currently a 45rpm version (would be 2 records) will set you back $150 but for this release I expect they'd pack in some extras either in booklet or live material or possibly outtakes like we've seen on the Beatles box sets. Every UHQR I have is absolutely stellar, if anything they've been getting better and better each time. This would likely hit around the level of the original given what they were able to achieve with the current Steely Dan copies.

Given the importance of this anniversary, I fully expect that Mobile Fidelity may try and do a UD1S 45rpm copy as well although this is almost certainly going to be from a digital copy of the master.

2/. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin

I'm not that up on Led Zeppelin originals, simply because they are pretty hard to find, and extremely expensive. An original good copy of this would set you back around £400 upwards. I have no idea who holds the rights or the original metalworks on the Zeppelin catalogue currently. But my god, there haven't been any good Zeppelin copies for a long time, these are some records that need some serious love.

3/. Quadrophenia - The Who

What an album! The who hasn't had any particularly stand out copies done for a long time as well. Abbey Road recently did a few of theirs as Half Speed Masters but they weren't the best (and not from analogue source). A good original will set you back around £150.

Classic Records reissued them in 2007, and Chad Kassem of Analogue Productions bought all Classic Records catalogue and metalworks when they folded in 2010. The supervinyl Classic Records copies will set you back around £400 - £500 today. So again, expect possibly a UHQR, or certainly a 45rpm of this by them.

4/. Goats Head Soup - The Rolling Stones

Another monumental album, the Stones have had so many reissues done over the years but they've all fallen short compared to originals. The originals can still be found in good condition under £100. Abbey Road were the last to do something special with the Stones and produced the Mono box set which now sells for over £1000.

5/. Aladdin Sane - David Bowie

This is another artist I came to appreciate far too late. Incredibly important album. You can find good original UK presses at around the £100 mark, and Bowies records tended to be mastered superbly. The originals tend to sound the best.

6/. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

One of my favorite artists. I have absolutely no idea who may have rights to print this, but it would be so great on an audiophile remaster.

There's loads more though of course, the likes of Elton John, Lennon, Genesis, Lou Reed, a few Bruce Springsteen, King Crimson, James Brown. It could be a really exciting year for amazing remasters.

Keep your wallet full!

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Forgot to mention, Chad Kassem of Analogue Productions has been teasing an important announcement coming soon.

It could well be the DSOTM announcement. I expect it will be like the Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue UHQR where they did both a 33rpm at $125 and a 45rpm at $150, and 20,000 copies of each.