Upcoming game - Atomic Heart

robin h 25

I'm looking forward to playing this,
I have Xbox Ultimate Subscription, so the game is free to play on Xbox Gamepass and Xbox Gampass for PC and of course i'll be getting it for PC.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Looks good, if the vid was an RT advert... and me an AMD man (but no tears please, it's a waste of good rastering)

Well, it might be a reason to keep my XBGP sub going (which I got free with the laptop but didn't actually know had been activated for a month, duh on me) if A Plague Tale: Requiem doesn't.

Looks like an as much fps over 60 is best type game so might need to use FSR for this one though (assuming it has it) on the big rig, which'll be a new thing as I haven't needed it yet. DLSS is, I assume, a given for a big RT title so the laptop should be ok. Steam Deck though? Eh, probably better to stream this one, it looks... challenging.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Not definitive by any means, but still a bit disappointing!

Just got on the PC to discover Atomic Heart is on XBGP. Well, it's there and I have a month of sub left so may as well...

Only Dead Space remake otherwise playing atm with CoH3 dropping tomorrow. Well, at least my new years resolution: 'try to stop stressing out over that 20 odd game backlog (shortlisted from twice as many) and just enjoy things, goddamit' is working out.
Dead Space has been a blast so far, 12 hours in over a week (which is good going for me compared to recent burn out etc) but I'm stuck on the regenerating monster bit with low ammo and medpacks rn 😱

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
armyvW5_700b.jpg

CMP01

Enthusiast
So, quick update on Atomic Heart. Fwiw I'm using Flawless Widescreen (+20 FOV) as suggested on Steam to get the full FOV capacity of my 21:9 ratio.

Runs pretty great on my specs, no real issues of note over a good 2-3 hours. Slight stutter early on, intermittent over the course of a couple of minutes. Slight judder in 'flying car scene' (not a spoiler as it's in the prologue) but hard to tell if that wasn't intentional tbh. Otherwise smooth and actually very sharp and good looking. There's also a noticeable fisheye lens kind of effect when looking around from a stationary position, certainly in the intro part of the game, not sure if that has anything to do with Flawless Widescreen/forced FOV or not but either I got used to it or it settled down after a while.

The dialogue wasn't the most amazing but horses for courses here tbh. I'm told it's more immersive to have the game in Russian and use subtitles... we'll see but yes, it is kind of jarring that nobody in the glorious people's utopia even has a Russian accent.

Anyway, those kind of things happen I guess but it's good they smoothed out quick (I had similar early on in the Dead Space remake) My only real gripe so far is how the basic controls aren't like other shooters, not where I'd have placed them anyway, and how finnicky the 'interact' detection is for searching around for items nm how much you have to search for so little... more realistic perhaps, but kind of took me out of a game that... well, isn't lol.