Upcoming new 8K (horizontal) Superwide Samsung Odyssey Neo G9

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is a prelude to the upcoming introduction of the new Samsung Odyssey Neo G9, no, not the one you're familiar with, but a new 8k horizontal superwide. These are due to be introduced at CES at the end of January.

So just to be clear this is 7680 x 2160 @ 240Hz, the usual 1000r curve, and 57 inches, up from the previous 49". Quantum mini LED with HDR 1000 and actually comes with the new Display Port 2.1 to support this.

Apparently they'll also be announcing a true OLED version of the existing G9 as well!!! So this will be 5120 x 1440 @ 240Hz

I can't even begin to think what the costs are going to be on these!

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Will we need a RTX5090Ti for 8k gaming?
Get your point, but remember it's not 8k

It's 8k on the horizontal but 4k on the vertical (2160)

So it's 2 x 4k monitors across

8k would be 4k squared ie x 4

I was really shocked at how well my GTX 1080 handled my 5120 x 1440 resolution, to the point it's actually really surprisingly capable, not on things like Warzone of course.

We'll see, you may well be right and it will be another year until we have a GPU capable of running it over 60Hz

CMP01

Enthusiast
Cool.

But correct me if I'm wrong (and cos it's 0344 and I'm only up to let the dogs out and then, omg, insomnia?)...
Anyway, this new screen would be 32:9 ratio, right, not 21:9? (like my beloved 3440x1440)
Not keen on 32:9 as a gamer only... too much like peeking through a late medieval visor or letterbox to play. Great for alternative dual screen/work/productivity stuff though. My gf for instance, an arty, crafty person would love it.
What I'd be keen on would be a 4K 21:9 ultrawide, which would be... *counts fingers... uh, feel free to help me out... but yeah, that'd be the next step up for me though I'd need at least +50 to +100% what my 6800XT offers for a decent run at it.

Still, nice to know we are getting the proper 4K+ resolution monitors now that top new GPU's have a fair chance of reaching that far, cos last gen wasn't it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cool.

But correct me if I'm wrong (and cos it's 0344 and I'm only up to let the dogs out and then, omg, insomnia?)...
Anyway, this new screen would be 32:9 ratio, right, not 21:9? (like my beloved 3440x1440)
Not keen on 32:9 as a gamer only... too much like peeking through a late medieval visor or letterbox to play. Great for alternative dual screen/work/productivity stuff though. My gf for instance, an arty, crafty person would love it.
What I'd be keen on would be a 4K 21:9 ultrawide, which would be... *counts fingers... uh, feel free to help me out... but yeah, that'd be the next step up for me though I'd need at least +50 to +100% what my 6800XT offers for a decent run at it.

Still, nice to know we are getting the proper 4K+ resolution monitors now that top new GPU's have a fair chance of reaching that far, cos last gen wasn't it.
It's standard superwide, same aspect ratio as the existing G9s