Upcoming Ryzen 7000 series desktop processors

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

As we all know, I'm an AMD fanboy, they've just done such a great job under Lisa Su, it's a real success story for both the company, and the customers.

Their next gen processors, the Ryzen 7000 series are due to be released sometime in the second half of this year, so July onwards. If previous releases are anything to go by, expect announcement around early September with release a couple of weeks later.

This is the new Zen 4 architecture on a 5nm process. It also has the new 3d Cache that the newly announced 5800x3D chip has which in itself brings quite a boost in performance aside from the new architecture.

Other new things, it will be a new AM5 socket (so previous chips won't be compatible), have DDR5 support, USB 4 (which incorporates Thunderbolt 3), PCIe 5

The current suggestion is a 25% improvement in IPC alone, combined with the 3d V Cache and higher boost clocks, it's suggested to expect around 40% performance improvement over current 5000 series. THAT IS A HECK OF A LOT!!!!

amd-ryzen-7000-zen-4-cpus-release-date-price-specs-benchmarks-4-900x506.jpg

Check out Coreteks summary of the CES announcement, skip to 10:15 in this video:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'll hold of personally until I actually see it but, like yourself, I think the 7000 series with the 4000 Nvidia is going to be my next purchase. I'm saving right now in wait for it :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll hold of personally until I actually see it but, like yourself, I think the 7000 series with the 4000 Nvidia is going to be my next purchase. I'm saving right now in wait for it :D
Same for me, although I'm really intrigued by Radeon 7000 which I think are going to be quite a surprise.

DarTon

I'm due to replace a desktop bought from 2016 this year but I will hold off. AMD's V-cache refresh was far too limited. Alder-Lake is better value than AMD right now but the real world performance difference over AMD is modest. DDR5 is too expensive to provide any value, except for a few specific apps. PCIe5 GPUs and SSDs aren't available.

Just feels better to wait until say 2Q23 when we have 7000 series vs. Raptor-Lake and Nvidia 4000 series vs. Radeon 7000, with bugs ironed out. Plus by that time 2023 we'll have started to see a trickle of more fab capacity coming online.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is well worth a look, AMD have made some announcements of Ryzen 7000 and the upcoming board chipsets, and this is looking extremely promising.

Up to 14 USB C 20GBpS ports? Up to 5.5GHz boost clocks? PCIe 5? All cpus coming with on board graphics?

AMD want to get out ahead of Intel. Intel are gonna struggle with 13th Gen as they're stuck on the same architecture until 14th Gen when they move to their "Tile" based chiplet layout, but it's Intel and they can eek out performance like no one else when it's required. And it sounds like AMD aren't satisfied with just getting slightly ahead, they want to make this a leap forward.

But the upcoming X670 and B650 chipsets are making me rather seriously excited

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Up to 14 USB C 20GBpS ports? Up to 5.5GHz boost clocks? PCIe 5? All cpus coming with on board graphics?

Dammit, I may finally have to change to AMD - I was about to start planning my 12th Gen Intel machine, but may have to wait now - grrrrr

The (ancient) game I play really benefits from clock speed

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dammit, I may finally have to change to AMD - I was about to start planning my 12th Gen Intel machine, but may have to wait now - grrrrr

The (ancient) game I play really benefits from clock speed
Well Intel's 13th gen are reported to reach 5.8GHz, but remember it's not all about frequency, the L2 and L3 cache and IPC are more important.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I remember when they thought 5Ghz was the golden number that would be impossible to get past :D

7900X3D paired with a X670 and a 4080 is my plan right now, I hope the 3D plan follows through as there are such significant gains. I just hope that they can keep the clocks up. I think the price is going to be a bit spicy mind you, but imagine what it'll do with FS2020.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I remember when they thought 5Ghz was the golden number that would be impossible to get past :D

7900X3D paired with a X670 and a 4080 is my plan right now, I hope the 3D plan follows through as there are such significant gains. I just hope that they can keep the clocks up. I think the price is going to be a bit spicy mind you, but imagine what it'll do with FS2020.
I'm thinking of an AMD GPU if the power requirements turn out to be true and they use half the power of the Nvidia cards while performing about the same.

But yeah, X670 Extreme board, either EVGA or ASRock Taichi with a 7900x would make me smile from ear to ear

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm always open minded but I think I'll struggle to be converted. DLSS & the potential of RT in FS means that AMD will really need to pull it out the bag on these technologies for me to switch.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm always open minded but I think I'll struggle to be converted. DLSS & the potential of RT in FS means that AMD will really need to pull it out the bag on these technologies for me to switch.
They've done amazing things with those in the last couple of months

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Interesting summary based off a youtuber who was quite critical of amds announcement based on an interview with AMD that pcworld did last night, worth watching

TLDR, that 5.5 was an all core boost in gaming on a non over locked sample of a 16 core chip.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Interesting summary based off a youtuber who was quite critical of amds announcement based on an interview with AMD that pcworld did last night, worth watching

TLDR, that 5.5 was an all core boost in gaming on a non over locked sample of a 16 core chip.

All-core???? o_O

5053115.jpg