Upgrade from Laptop to desktop for both productivity & gaming

elia111

Currently I'm maining a Zephyrus laptop from some years back with RTX 2080 Q-max laptop GPU & Intel i7-8750H
I work with lots of intensive software such as Blender/Video editing software/ Unreal / games.
I would like some input on how significant this will be as an upgrade with the following specs, or if the combination of specs could result in any issues. or if any components have notable drawbacks.
Case
FRACTAL NORTH TG GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 24-Core Processor i9-13900K (Up to 5.8GHz) 36MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME B760-PLUS D4 (LGA1700, PCIe5.0, USB 3.2)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (1 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support Bracket
NONE (BRACKET INCLUDED AS STANDARD ON 4070 Ti AND ABOVE)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 6500MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 360 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
1 x 120mm PCS Ultra Quiet Fan
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
ASUS PCE-AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) 2400Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What make and model monitor are you using?

What's your max budget?

If you can include the link at the bottom of the quote?

elia111

do monitors come with any significant considerations?
I currently use my laptops screen + a (quite old) samsung monitor. Likely will purchase 1 or 2 new ones (depending on if I think the symmetry is worth it.)
The above build is 2152 which I would prefer not to go over (if anything bring it down if I have made any non-functional or overkill additions)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The monitor (resolution & refresh rate) dictate the GPU requirements to a large extent.

No use getting a high-end GPU to run a CPU-limited game at 1080p…equally it’s pointless to spec a RTX4070 if you’re expecting Cyberpunk to deliver 60+ FPS at 4K ultra + RT Psycho.

elia111

right yea of course,
but personally I'm not too picky on framerate & resolution when it comes to gaming + I don't particularly seek out the most graphically demanding games either.

I more so want the higher specs for: faster rendering times in blender & video editing software. Faster compile times when writing code. Streaming & video recording. And multitasking these all together. And for these purposes as i understand it, higher spec is always better right?

I'm just unsure how much of a difference this will make from my current setup

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I use Creative Suite a fair bit, but Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign aren’t that taxing on the CPU or GPU, except in very limited cases.

However, I tend to check out the benchmarks from PugetSystems for comparisions on lots of creativity apps…e.g.

You can also download the relevant benchmark suites for your preferred apps, and then compare your current machine to results from people who’ve uploaded 13900K/4070 results…

The laptop RTX2080 Max-Q, has broadly the same performance as a desktop RTX3060 (although the 3060 comes out on top in about half the Puget/3DMark test suites), and a desktop RTX4070 is 35+% faster in most Resolve benchmarks than the RTX3060 (and is 100% faster in the H264/HEVC benchmark).

Last edited:

elia111

how about difference in CPU?
Additionally, is there any concern i should have with certain parts i selected? for example case/fans/etc
how can i know cooling will be sufficient? etc

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There’s not a huge difference in overall tests between the i9, i7, 7900X and 7950X.

You‘d have to read the 13th gen report above (includes 12th gen and AMD options too) to see what’s best for your usage. However, the only way to keep the 13900K cool would be to leave it turned off :ROFLMAO:…or upgrade your cooler to the much better Corsair H150 Capellix.

Although I’d also consider going up a level on the motherboard to one that will handle the power draw & heat better. The TUF Gaming or Strix versions would be fine…and they may even have a WiFi version, so you can remove the add-in WiFi card (and free up a PCIe slot).