Upgrade Help

oli090

Enthusiast
Ive finally got round to upgrading my pc after 3 months of looking. Although I have some small questions about it. My biggest concern now is im looking too add more than just monitors. Aka RAM, HD and most importantly future proofing. Im looking at getting 2x4gb ram sticks and a 3tb SATA HD. Maybe a SSD in a bit. I have a 450w PSU but someone said it goes down all the time. I also am getting a razer backlit keyboard and a razer lit mouse so i dont know if thats uses much power but adding it to the equation anyways. I am also going to upgrade my graphics card later on down the line. So do i need to upgrade my PSU now or later? The rest of my Pc specs are as follows....

Case PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD BULLDOZER QUAD CORE FX-4100 (3.60GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3)
Motherboard ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3: M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Fan Controller NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Firewire NONE
TV Card NONE

Another thing can my current graphics card handle 3 monitors?

kruppsy

Master
450w PSU will be fine for all the ugrades you mentioned. If you will be upgrading the graphics card then it will depend what you upgrade to, any ideas? You will probably get away with the 450w right the way up to the AMD 7950 or NVIDIA 660 Ti, above that, you'll need a 650w.

According to the specification, your current card supports Eyefinity and

◦Native support for up to five simultaneous displays
◦Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
◦Display grouping
◦Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desk...6770/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6770-overview.aspx#2

I should just also mention that because your motherboard is only SATA 3gb/s is won't be able to fully take advantage of the speeds of an SSD.

Last edited:

oli090

Enthusiast
Ok, thanks, this is very helpful exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. I'm off to purchase it now :)