Upgrade help

JamesH

Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my pc mainly cpu and gpu if anyone could suggest anything. I’m looking at upgrading my cpu to ryzen 9 but not sure on graphics card? Any suggestions? I’ve posted my specs bellow so if anything else on top of gpu and cpu need changing please recommend, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Case FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What do you want to achieve? What problems are you experiencing that you'd like to improve?

The obvious biggest weakness in that system is the power supply; it won't take a massive upgrade to the GPU...

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What GPU are you considering, as that may trigger the need for a more powerful PSU.

I’m also not sure if the Prime level of motherboard is suitable for a 5900/5950 (and you’ll need a Corsair AIO cooler).

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah your cooler motherboard and PSU are going to really limit your options but the 3600 is still very capable. Knowing what you want to achieve by upgrading we can help pin point some good upgrades for you that should show significant improvements