Upgrade in Bitfenix Prodigy

Lepasconnu

Bronze Level Poster
Hello everyone,

I am planning on upgrading my PCS rig next year, I really want to get a gtx 1070.
My questions are:

- Does a GTX 1070 fit in my case? I have never seen one in real, and on the photos or videos they seem gigantic (sounds like a dialogue from a 70's adult movie).
- Do I need to change my PSU as well? I can not find any clear answer on whether the 450 would be enough, considering most of the new GPUs ask for 500w.

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

Find below my specs to help you.

Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Case (Black)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170I PRO GAMING: Mini-ITX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 40 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT + WIRELESS 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days
Quantity

Stephen M

Author Level
I am sure you will get a better answer from someone with more knowledge than me but in the meantime I have just specced up a machine with the 1070 on the PCS site using your case and got the all clear after clicking on "Proceed". Normally the site will not let you continue if things will not fit/work together. Probably a call or email to PCS is the best option as they do look at these fora but not that regularly.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Among the cheapest GTX 1070s I've seen post Black Friday online has been a 'mini ITX' (short) version by gigabyte sporting a small-ish OC. It's apparently "Card size H=37 L=169 W=131 mm"
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5923#kf

I expect more folks will be inclined to remove the Prodigy's top cage to make room for longer graphics cards. With the cage in place, the maximum graphics card length is a relatively stubby 7.1" (180 mm). Pulling out the cage provides enough clearance for cards as long as 13.1" (335 mm), which means even the ultra-high-end GeForce Titan and Radeon HD 7990 will fit. That said, cards with triple-slot coolers aren't supported, since there are only two expansion slot openings at the back.
http://techreport.com/review/24717/a-quick-look-at-bitfenix-prodigy-enclosure/2

So if you're not using the HDD cage in the middle and remove it you can get whatever you want pretty much. Otherwise it seems ~180mm or less (regular 1070s are ~266mm or more off the top of my head).

I'd think 450W would be fine for most 1070s including the gigabyte one though make sure you check the individual model. The general spec says 150W
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1070/#specs

But many have higher max power draws e.g. http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08g-p4-6171-kr (and note that not all manufacturers publish the power draw of each GPU).

I think GPU makers generally suggest higher W PSUs than are needed as they assume some people will have cheapo blow-up-in-your-face unrated junk PSUs.

Last edited:

Lepasconnu

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Oussebon, I think the cage is already out, I have always been wondering why PCS had sent me a strange toaster thingy in my PC box!
I will update my CPU to a Corsair 550W so it is done, for £40 more, I think it could be worth it in the long run.