Upgrade service and GTX 680M

I was just wondering when the upgrade service and the 680M will be available as the card has been released and I am interested in upgrading my P170EM from my current 675M.
Thanks!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The upgrade service has been delayed at present, I would expect it to be available in around 1 month's time.

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
I haven't done much of a research on that, but will 680M compatible with Vortex II (P170HM)? I guess the upgrade will be quite pricey, but if the 680M could go in to my laptop that would be the last possible upgrade anyway.
An enlightenment to the matter would be appreciated. Or maybe 580M.
Thanks.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
580M can fit in the Vortex II no problem, but we are not planning to support the 680M unfortunately.

We will be offering the 7970M for the Vortex II and pricing we be available in the next few weeks.

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for reply.
Just went through the comparison article on both cards. It just looks too early to tell will 7970M good choice and I'm sure lots of people would recommend that card.

From a price-performance perspective, the HD 7970M is significantly more appealing, at least for now.

It’s a fact that Nvidia have produced the overall better GPU with the GeForce GTX 680M. Its waste heat and energy consumption are both lower compared to the Radeon HD 7970M, leading to quieter system noise and longer battery life.

Hopefully Nvidia's card will come down on price (whatever that is) and will be available on your upgrade service. If not, got some hard decisions to make.

Any idea for how long 580M stays on production line in Nvidia and will become unavailable?

Still exited about upgrade service. Can't wait.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
If PCS is not going to be supporting the 680M for Vortex II via the upgrade service, would you sell the component itself to customers who have only had there Vortex II for a few months and would like to have a crack at putting it in themselves?

I understand I could not ask for assistance and would void any warranty, but as I have only had my laptop for a few months I feel a bit let down that I cannot upgrade it to the No # 1 spec officially. I understand that PCS is in the business of making money, but I simply cannot justify shelling out another £1700 so soon for another complete chassis.....

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for reply.
Just went through the comparison article on both cards. It just looks too early to tell will 7970M good choice and I'm sure lots of people would recommend that card.

From a price-performance perspective, the HD 7970M is significantly more appealing, at least for now.

It’s a fact that Nvidia have produced the overall better GPU with the GeForce GTX 680M. Its waste heat and energy consumption are both lower compared to the Radeon HD 7970M, leading to quieter system noise and longer battery life.

Hopefully Nvidia's card will come down on price (whatever that is) and will be available on your upgrade service. If not, got some hard decisions to make.

Any idea for how long 580M stays on production line in Nvidia and will become unavailable?

Still exited about upgrade service. Can't wait.

The fact is that 7970M works well in the HM series of Clevos. It is also roughly 2x more powerful than 580M for about the same cost.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We can supply you a GTX 680M once we have plenty of free stock. At moment stock levels are not sufficient enough to warrant pulling them from chassis for upgrades. Once the dust of the new launch has settled we'll be happy to consider offering one. However, we cannot support the installation of this card in a Vortex II at present.

FYI - in order to get a 7970M working inside a Vortex II the GPU BIOS has to be flashed whilst it is inside a Vortex III. If we simply ship out a GPU I cannot see how you will be able to get it working correctly.

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
We can supply you a GTX 680M once we have plenty of free stock. At moment stock levels are not sufficient enough to warrant pulling them from chassis for upgrades. Once the dust of the new launch has settled we'll be happy to consider offering one. However, we cannot support the installation of this card in a Vortex II at present.

Good news anyway. There is a hope.
At NBR Clevo forum there are some success stories on that matter.:punk: