Upgrade to W10 from Home to Pro

SteveP

I have a Clevo laptop with a P7xxDM2-G motherboard and i7-6700 CPU
The device has Windows 10 Home installed as standard.

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

I understand the activation for W10 is affected by some hardware signature information collected by MS.
I want to do a complete wipe and clean installation.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Edit:

My main concern is that it will definitely install and continue to update.

I am a law abiding citizen and will of course be purchasing a legitimate copy of W10 Pro. (prices vary wildly between £220 (MS)-£16.49)
I work with W10 Pro so I'm used to having access to Remote Desktop, Bit Locker, GP admin and update management to name a few.
(a comprehensive list of feature differences is available on multiple sites).

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I understand the activation for W10 is affected by some hardware signature information collected by MS.

You can either go to settings/system/about/Change product key or upgrade your version of windows

In there you should be able to upgrade to pro.

Or you can just buy a pro license from anywhere and reinstall from scratch.

Either way, you'd want to download a current install image from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and create a bootable media (usb is the easiest and quickest).

Why do you want pro out of interest?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You will need to pay for Win 10 Pro and once Microsoft see that you are installing a legit copy of Win 10 Pro (probably by entering the product key for Win 10 Pro version you bought/upgraded to) their activation servers will register it as active on your PC.

AFAIK there is no legal way to get Win 10 Pro other than by purchasing it. Whether there is a cheaper upgrade path from Home to Pro I don't know but I doubt it, I think you'll have to pay for a new copy of Win 10 Pro.

I'd also be interested to know what Pro features you need on your PC?

khurk

Before upgrading your Windows it is best to backup Windows 10 system and data before upgrade to Windows 10 Pro edition.
And than manually follow this process
1. Open Windows Store, log in with your Microsoft Account, click on your account icon and select Download and Updates;
2. Select Store, click Update under Store;
Wait for the Windows Store update process to complete.
3. After the update, search Windows 10 in the search box and click on it;
4. After this, click Install to upgrade your Windows 10 from Home to Pro edition.
5. Click Yes, let's go to confirm the upgrade process.
If the process is 100%, which means that it's almost done and you'll need to restart your PC manually when you receive Succeed message.
6. Go to Settings > Update & security > Activation to check if it is Activated. Usually, it would be activated. If not, purchase a key for the activation.
Free upgrade is good only for one year as of that date. Once that first year is over you have to buy its key.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Before upgrading your Windows it is best to backup Windows 10 system and data before upgrade to Windows 10 Pro edition.
And than manually follow this process
1. Open Windows Store, log in with your Microsoft Account, click on your account icon and select Download and Updates;
2. Select Store, click Update under Store;
Wait for the Windows Store update process to complete.
3. After the update, search Windows 10 in the search box and click on it;
4. After this, click Install to upgrade your Windows 10 from Home to Pro edition.
5. Click Yes, let's go to confirm the upgrade process.
If the process is 100%, which means that it's almost done and you'll need to restart your PC manually when you receive Succeed message.
6. Go to Settings > Update & security > Activation to check if it is Activated. Usually, it would be activated. If not, purchase a key for the activation.
Free upgrade is good only for one year as of that date. Once that first year is over you have to buy its key.

I'm not sure how you're doing this. If I go follow your steps 1 through 3 to get to the Windows 10 Pro upgrade page my only option is to pay £119.99 for it. How are you upgrading without paying?