Upgrading 660M GPU possible?

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
I plan to buy a £900 15.6" Vortex III LE in couple of days, and plan on getting the 660M 1GB GPU.

I am concerned about longevity however, I bought an Alienware M11x last year which was a horrible experience, and am wondering if this GPU could be upgraded easily when the card becomes less relevant for gaming, and if possible would it be limited to this line of cards?

JAGMAN

if it's the clevo P150EM then you won't have any problem ,it could handle the nvidia 670M/675M and the amd 7970M as well

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Alright, so assuming I wanted to upgrade to the 675m, where in the world would I buy one not attached to a laptop, and how would/simple would it be to replace the old one?

And would future cards be supported? Would I be restricted to the 6XXm series or...?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We have not tested a 675M in this chassis but if you wanted to order one in the future by all means we would be happy to test this. It should be able to accept the 675M but the chassis is not the exact P150EM.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
In theory any MXM card will fit. It's just the drivers that we will need to test.

JAGMAN

it should be the clevo P151EM and if so it won't be able to handle the 675m
these are the differences :
P151EM

- NO Backlit Keyboard
- Plastic not rubber finish
- 120W PSU

P150EM

- Backlit Keyboard
- Rubber Finish
- 180W PSU
- Allows 100W GPUs/ XM Cpu's

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We have tested the 675M in this chassis and it is not compatible. Therefore the GPU cannot be upgraded in the Vortex III LE.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
670M has been confirmed compatible so it'd be hard to imagine that 675M doesn't work. It WILL need a better power brick tho, the standard 120W wont cut it, you need the 180W from the "real" Vortex II/III.

@ the above post - not compatible as in no post screen or?